Basic Coleslaw

Got a recipe for a killer 'Slaw or some hearty BBQ beans? Maybe you make some killer ABT's or something more inventive. This is the place to post your recipes.

Re: Basic Coleslaw

Postby keith157 » 30 Aug 2012, 10:12

philnewts wrote:Does anyone use Apples or Apple juice in their coleslaw? Does it work well or just taste odd?

Yes but be sure to grate the apple into acidulated water (water with lemon or lime juice) to keep it's colour. You could also grate it into pure apple juice as well. It's great with pork if you're serving it unsauced the apple flavour adds to the taste.
keith157

Postby Verminskti » 30 Aug 2012, 10:54

philnewts wrote:Does anyone use Apples or Apple juice in their coleslaw? Does it work well or just taste odd?

All the time. I chop the apples, grate them up with the rotary grater that only airs around slaw time. Then straight into the mayo. No need to add citrus if they're covered from oxygenation. However the lemon can add a nice tang.
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby noxskuses » 11 Mar 2013, 14:21

I like to salt my veggies for an hour or so first to leach out excess liquid. Rinse them in cold water and then put in the salad spinner to remove any excess water. Wrap them in a tea towel and squeeze out any remaining liquid. I then dress them with a little oil, lime zest and lime juice. Add mayo, S&P and celery salt to taste, cover in cling film and pop into fridge overnight as coleslaw tastes nicer the next day IMHO. Using this method almost guarantees no runny slaw the next day.
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Sides