Cold Smoked Garlic

Bad Hunter? Post your recipe here.

Cold Smoked Garlic

Postby LM600 » 27 Apr 2011, 10:09

Found a pic on my phone....

LM600

Re: Cold Smoked Garlic

Postby Steve » 27 Apr 2011, 12:49

Good stuff, did you just smoke them straight, how long? what wood?
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby LM600 » 27 Apr 2011, 20:15

Cheers Steve,

They were smoked using the CSG with oak dust and had three lots of 10+hr smokes over three nights. They're now resting up in a Tupperware :)
LM600

Postby ZUL » 25 May 2011, 11:35

LM600 wrote:Cheers Steve,

They were smoked using the CSG with oak dust and had three lots of 10+hr smokes over three nights. They're now resting up in a Tupperware :)

Damn! Are you suggesting you smoked those cloves for 30+ hours? Are they crazy smokey? Is that a typical time needed for garlic?

I do love me some smoked garlic and have been inspired to do this. *Off to market to buy garlic*
ZUL
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby LM600 » 25 May 2011, 21:47

Thanks Fellas...

TBH, I wasn't impressed (but I recall not being impressed with commercial smoked garlic)...it seems that the papery outer layers took on all the smoke - these were great smelt fantastic, but the cloves not so much.

If I were to compare say a piece of smoked cheese to the smoked garlic the cheese would be a habernero and the garlic a [i]very[i] mild jalepeno
LM600

Postby HowWeird » 28 Jun 2012, 09:45

Have to agree smoked garlic in teh uk is a waste or time. the only advantage is that it lasts for months. i think you have to smoke them when they are really fresh.

however cold smoked peppercorns, salt and paprika is just the best thing.
HowWeird
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Chris__M » 28 Jun 2012, 10:35

I've got a whole lot of garlic about to be ready for harvest. When I did my garden last year and installed my veg troughs, it was one of the few things that it was the right time to sow, so I did 2 x 2m rows. That's a lot of garlic for one person!

So at the moment, it is *very* fresh (i.e. mostly not dug up yet). I'd be tempted to harvest it, split it down to the individual cloves, and smoke them, rather than smoke it whole. Then freeze them in a suitable container, to use throughout the year.

What do people think?
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 28 Jun 2012, 10:52

I think I'm incredibly envious :mrgreen:
keith157

Postby Chris__M » 28 Jun 2012, 12:08

A couple of photos. Here's my garlic crop:

Here's one I prepared earlier. I was told that garlic should be harvested by mid-June, but I felt the wet weather may have affected that. Having pulled a plant, and examined it, I felt it could go another couple of weeks in the ground.

Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby bencops » 28 Jun 2012, 20:40

My wife has just harvested her garlic, we never buy any all year round and eat a lot of it. Shes literally walked in the house half an hour ago with armfulls of it. Allotment.

Never smoked it but i always assumed it was a soft, hot smoked product, probably helps smoking it from fresh too, ill give it a go.
bencops

Next

Return to Vegetarian