Corn on the Cob

Bad Hunter? Post your recipe here.

Corn on the Cob

Postby Verminskti » 20 Aug 2012, 18:12

The other half found me some husked corn cobs at the weekend. (Reading Market for those local) It makes a change because most times I see them they're either husked or have a few leaves artistically removed to show a line of corn. Worst of both worlds!

Still I had my corn and wondered how you prepared yours!

I have a number of ways to prepare corn.

Husked I grill the corn without anything on it. Turning it occasionally until the golden kernels turn a caramel colour. MmmmMmm. Then and only then sweep with some butter. The corn is like a dessert! Sometimes I'll add a spice rub. I used to buy Schwarz's 'BBQ Shotz' specifically for it. I'll be sure some of you have a better rub though.

My Pennsylvanian lodger throws them in a bucket of water for an hour still in their husk. I then place them next to the coals. Out comes a lovely piece of corn, the husk can be used as a handle to hold it and a hot water spray envelopes anyone within 5 foot of the eater.

My last way and the way I chose this weekend was to peel back the husk like peeling a banana leaving it attached at the bottom. Remove all the hair and then cover the cob with butter and return the husks to place around the cob.Image

Then throw it next to the coals or if there's room on the grill at a high heat, turning for about 15 minutes. Man. Beautiful golden kernels of buttery goodness. The butter gets everywhere though but a meal's not a good'un if you don't have half of it round your face! I've added spices before now to this and that's been good but you have to be careful not to overpower the corn flavour.

Though I hate my Penn friend's tales of a childhood growing up with corn cobs 6 for 50c! Traversty especially as you no longer seem to get that week of cheap corn piled high in the supermarkets that you used to get 10 years ago as English corn came into season.
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Corn on the Cob

Postby Swindon_Ed » 20 Aug 2012, 19:13

I like to cook them still in the husks. Soak the corn for an hour and then place them directly on the coals and once the husks have burnt off they're done, then glaze with a maple, butter & chipotle glaze
Swindon_Ed

Postby keith157 » 21 Aug 2012, 05:35

Found husk on corn, not many leaves though, in Sainsburys yesterday but didn't get any though :oops:
keith157

Postby UKEgger » 21 Aug 2012, 17:19

This is one major UK annoyance for me, why do supermarkets insit on packing corns in plasic trays and film. They have a perfectly good package on them, its called the husk.

I like the way you mention, soak for an hour or so pull back husk add some chili butter, pull hust back up and the put on the grill.
UKEgger
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Verminskti » 21 Aug 2012, 20:17

What's your mix on the butter?
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Eddie » 19 Dec 2012, 17:32

UKEgger wrote:This is one major UK annoyance for me, why do supermarkets insit on packing corns in plasic trays and film. They have a perfectly good package on them, its called the husk.

I've got round that one by growing my own; you don't need that much space in your garden to do it. Packet of seeds cost £3.50 gives you about 50-70 cobs. By sowings the seed 3-4 each week will give you a steady supply.

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby CyderPig » 24 Feb 2013, 16:02

Hi All
Soak cobs in the husk for as long as you can, at Least 2-3 hours,pat dry open the husk, liberally add oil/butter, garlic powder, chilli, onion powder, maybe herbs of your choice, smoke in pit 225 -250 for 2-3 hours. At this stage you could try this pull back husk, oil and add any type rub you like, if you want finish on grill to slightly blacken.

Cyderpig
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Backyardsmoker » 14 Mar 2013, 10:58

If you cant. Find corn with the husks on still whould you still soak them?
Backyardsmoker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 14 Mar 2013, 12:43

I think the soaking of the husks is twofold, it stops them flaring up allowing them to be cooked for longer, and partially steam cooks the cob. Certainly they taste better than when there are no husks.
keith157

Return to Vegetarian