"French" grilled salmon

Feeling fishy? Post your fish dishes here.

"French" grilled salmon

Postby lakemirror » 26 Aug 2010, 12:39

Why is it called "french"? I don't know....maybe the author thought vermouth = french, maybe he was in France when he thought up the recipe, maybe he was eating french fries, maybe his girlfriend was a good kisser, who knows?

I made this last night and it was pretty good. DISCLAIMER: This is not bbq, this is not smoked. This is grilled. I love smoked salmon but this ain't it. TIFWIW.

I grilled mine on a cedar plank, it took just a little longer than the recipe says to gain flaky goodness. I'd call my method "semi-indirect" because I put the plank over the hot part of the grill for a while just to get it smoking. Also, I used filets instead of steaks because that's what I had and I like filets better anyway even if they're not uniformly thick, thank you very much Mr. Fishmonger.

Also, where the recipe says "baking with marinade" I'm sure they mean "basting" unless it's just a French thing. Also, I used olive oil but might try peanut oil next time just because. Bump up the black pepper like I did if you wish, also add some citrus like lemon juice for pizazz.

Recipe from cooks.com begins:

6 salmon steaks, 3/4 inch thick (about 3 lbs. total)

MARINADE:

1/2 c. dry vermouth
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 tbsp. chopped chives
1 tsp. leaf thyme, crumbled
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Combine all marinade ingredients. Place steaks in a large glass dish and pour marinade over all; cover with plastic wrap. Marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.

Grill over medium fire, 4 inches from heat, turning and baking with marinade, for 12 to 15 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
lakemirror
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Fish