Tea Smoked Salmon

Feeling fishy? Post your fish dishes here.

Tea Smoked Salmon

Postby Minesamojito » 27 Nov 2011, 17:25

(link deleted)
A while ago I was watching my favourite food channels and I stumbled across the New Zealand cook Annabel Langbein “The Free Range Cook” series, in on episode she tea smoked a side of salmon in a tinfoil lined wok. I really fancied giving this a go, so started off experimenting. She used a whiskey, brown sugar and salt cure before tea smoking, I just used salt and brown sugar and cured lightly for an hour.

I’d cooked this but not got around to posting this, but the wonderful recent blog post by Ms Marmite Lover reminded me that i’d done the tea smoking, along with a question from JamieOTT about my home smoked trout.

“What smokers do you recommend for novice smokers who live in an apt in a city? I definitely want to try smoked salmon but I don’t want to spend too much money…”

So here we go.

Line a wok with a layer of tinfoil so that you don’t ruin your wok, and then pop a handful of long grain rice, a handful of demerera sugar and a handful of loose leaf tea, I like Lapsang for an extra smokiness, but most teas will work well.

I then popped another layer of foil over this, but using the tip of a knife popped a few small holes in the foil to let the smoke through. Then lightly oil the skin side of the cured salmon and place on the foil.

Pop the lid on and turn the heat on to medium for a couple of minutes until smoke starts appearing.

Once the smoke starts appearing turn the heat to low for 10 minutes and turn off the heat, leave for about 10 minutes allowing the smoke to absorb into the fish. The fish should be perfectly cooked at this point. Make sure you lift the lid off outside if you have sensitive smoke alarms!

The fish can then be enjoyed as is with a nice salad, flaked into creamy pasta or a nice risotto.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Fish