Sauces & Desserts

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Sauces & Desserts

Postby clairbare » 20 Jan 2011, 13:50

I am not sure we are able to compete this year but I just wondered if you can prepare the above away from the competition or does it all have to be made onsite? We are certainly keen but not too sure yet - we will definately come along to meet everyone and see a competition in progress
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: Sauces & Desserts

Postby British BBQ Society » 20 Jan 2011, 13:55

The dessert must be fully prepared on site, here are a copy of the rules for the main competition. http://pitmasters.co.uk/pit-masters-rules-regulations/
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 20 Jan 2011, 14:36

Hi Clare,

When we do making or anything like that we do have a tendency to weigh all the measures (Flours, sugars, breadcrumbs etc) into Ziploc bags before the event so we know we have just what we need. This helps us manage what we need to bring.

All is then used to make the dessert on site.

Hope this helps.

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby clairbare » 21 Jan 2011, 08:30

Thanks Adie And Toby

Do people use more than one smoker at the competitions?
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby All Weather Griller » 21 Jan 2011, 09:24

Most peoplpe are in teams with friends so they bring a couple. I think if you are competing then either you will need a three tier Excel or another.

All being well, I will have a spare WSM you can borrow if you are thinking of competing.

I can bring it down with me and if you do decide to compete, then it will be there for you to borrow.

There are rules on teams sharing smokers, but you can borrow equipment for the duration of the event. What this means is, I can't ask you to cook a pork shoulder for me but I can borrow your smoker, as long as you aren't using it in the event.

The atmosphere is very friendly at the competitions, people are always lending and borrowing stuff, seldom will you struggle for something. Perhaps with the exception for parsley.

Hope this helps.

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby esselle » 21 Jan 2011, 13:59

Compete! Don't just watch you will regret it honest. We were going to come to watch last May and this lot bullied us into competing and I am honestly glad we did. You will never meet such a friendly bunch. Anything you haven't got someone else will have that you can borrow, as Adie said. So see you both in May then. ;)
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 21 Jan 2011, 20:41

I'll echo the sentiments above, just do it.

You can manage on one cooker, just but it's better to have two. If you only have one I can lend you either an Excel or a Frontier depending on your preference.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby clairbare » 04 Apr 2011, 12:55

RIGHT, now we are at 95% on the coming to compete stage, I need to ask something about puddings again.

Having never tasted a pudding off the bbq before and having only 1 attempt at this I was wondering if there are any tips? Should the pudding taste just like it has been done in the oven? What are the judges looking for on this section??

Anyone fancy q'ing me a pudding to taste :D
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby clairbare » 04 Apr 2011, 16:01

DrSweetsmoke wrote:
It's common for some questions to be addressed and others not but I say fire up the cooker with fuel that has less of a BBQ fuel smell like coconut briquets for doing deserts. Start by grilling fruit then do a simple boxed cake mix just to get the hang of it. I have three ideas in the starting blocks for when the time comes that we are available to compete. :mrgreen:

So you competing this year Doc?? :D
Cheers for tips
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby clairbare » 21 May 2011, 12:51

British BBQ Society wrote:The dessert must be fully prepared on site, here are a copy of the rules for the main competition. http://pitmasters.co.uk/pit-masters-rules-regulations/

Urgent question does any part of the dessert have to be cooked on your smoker? If your dessert doesn't require any cooking, will it be accepted
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Next

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events