Ribstock 2014

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Ribstock 2014

Postby ConorD » 07 Oct 2014, 21:19

Managed to get a ticket to Ribstock 2014 as part of Pork Life in Dalstons Yard at the end of September and it was awesome. 7 vendors to try and free refills of beer = meat/beer induced coma :D :D :D

Top 3 for me were Hot Box, SmokeStak (who won) and Roti Chai.

The beer got the best of me so I forgot to take as many pictures as I would have liked but will definitely be going back to this excellent street feast.

Hot Box served up a lovely juice rib from their mammoth smoker with a beautiful smoked scotch bonnet sauce on it (started sweet and then just got hot enough to make you take that next bite to mellow it out) - my favourite of the night;
ImageImage

Smokestak was for the purists. A lovely rib that they had spiced very lightly and you added your own sauce sauce (which was pretty good but unnecessary as the ribs was extremely juicy). They won both the event and also the unofficial award for the biggest smoker I have ever seen;
ImageImage

I forgot to take a pic of the Roti Chai offering but is was a really interesting flavour of Himalayan baby back ribs which were soft meat, clean off the bone (as good as the other two) and with a distinctive sauce on them that was somewhere between teriyaki and hoi sin with some little bit of heat to it - simply moreish.

Worst rib of the night went to Texas Joe - sorry dude but proof the Texans should stick to what they know best = beef. It had the belly still attached which had not been rendered down enough and ended up just being to fatty. Adding bacon and crackling was a nice touch as was the hot sauce but this is not a good bbq rib;
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Ribstock 2014

Postby keith157 » 08 Oct 2014, 04:20

Nice review, thanks ;)
keith157

Postby jackson » 29 Oct 2014, 19:30

The beef ribs from smokestack are fantastic.

When we had them, they were sauced with a very simple tomato and vinegar baste (like a bare bones ketchup) but all the flavour came from the smoke, rub and fat. I nearly ate my own hands, it was so good.

On a different note, I saw them produce a fresh brisket while we were waiting to gorge. When it came out of the smoker, it was wrapped in clingfilm and had a telltale, molded seam around the edge. I had a sneaking suspicion it had been cooked sous vide...
jackson
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 30 Oct 2014, 08:11

Sounds like an ace day out
JEC

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events