American competitions

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

American competitions

Postby esselle » 03 Aug 2010, 18:22

Miss Piggy and I are planning a trip to America in 2012 to tour real BBQ country for between 3 and 6 weeks. We are toying with the idea of taking part in a few comps whilst we are there. Do we need to join the kcbs in order to compete and where could we hire smokers etc?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: American competitions

Postby joker smoker » 03 Aug 2010, 20:21

there are more comps in Texas than anywhere but they don't play KCBS. Check out texasbbqforum.com for more info. you'll get more comps in and less travel and more BBQ joints to check out.. Others may say go to KC and others to Memphis but you know where I'd be heading...to the land of chicken fried steak and Shiner bock
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 03 Aug 2010, 20:24

Mmm Shiner Bock
All Weather Griller

Postby esselle » 03 Aug 2010, 20:59

Now you know I'm a newbie ... What's shiner bock?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 03 Aug 2010, 21:06

It's a Texan beer, I was graced by one of the teams at the Kansas last year and they were sponsored by them.

http://www.shiner.com/
All Weather Griller

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 04 Aug 2010, 16:20

If you head over to Arizona, there are several comps every year, both KCBS and IBCA sanctioned. You don't have to join anything and there is usually someone around who can lend you a smoker (usually WSM or ProQ).

Check out the AZBarbeque website, register, and browse the forums.

http://www.azbarbeque.com/
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby MadCow » 05 Aug 2010, 09:27

When we did 'the tour' we went round Alabama, Tennesses and Kansas City / Missouri had a great time. You don't have to be a member of KCBS (we were at first but then dropped it), but if you are I'm sure Karen Walker will give you some advice ... she's a great help ... tell her that you cook with the British Team that she met at The Royal last year ... also she's on facebook if you want to touch base before that.

Have fun and when in Alabama be careful of people offering you liquid in Jars .... it's moonshine, it's great and it'll blow your socks off!!! :twisted: :D
MadCow

Postby esselle » 21 Aug 2010, 19:31

Thanks for the advice Jackie. Do you have the details of where you went and what competitions you entered?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby British BBQ Society » 21 Aug 2010, 19:36

check out the Kansas City BBQ Society web site http://www.kcbs.us/ click on events and you will see what takes place each year,
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MadCow » 21 Aug 2010, 22:48

Toby's right ... that's pretty much the way to do it.
MadCow

Next

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events