Judging classes ahead of comp's

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Judging classes ahead of comp's

Postby Swindon_Ed » 30 Aug 2012, 08:21

As most of you will know our team is going to be heading over to Kansas City next month to compete in the American Royal BBQ contest.

I've noticed that there is an opportunity for us to take part in a KCBS judging class ahead of the contest and i'm wondering if this would be a good idea for us to do? In theory this should tll us exactly what the judges will be looking for over the weekend but i'm worried that it might just end up confusing us.

Has anyone else ever taken part in a KCBS juding class and do you think it would be worth while doing this?
Swindon_Ed

Re: Judging classes ahead of comp's

Postby stretchie_ » 30 Aug 2012, 08:44

That's cool. I'm just getting good at doing beef skirt and fatties so a looong way of anything like that ; )

I understand what you mean, I would guess that the class can only be a good thing but then what if you come out of the class and everything they taught was against when you've been doing up until now?

If it were me I'd go along, forewarned is forearmed, I'm sure IF there are big differences you can sit down as a team and brainstorm any gaps between what you are doing and what they might want IF it's different. Or take the information in, do the contest as you would have anyway just to see how your stuff fares against the guys over the pond. Then decide if it's worth changing anything or not for next time.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy it and pick up loads of stuff either way.

I'm gutted I missed grillstock. Just waiting for something else local'ish'. I'd love to go experience a big grilling thing, If you need willing volunteers I'm only in Melksham and happy to come up and taste any experiments :lol:

Good luck guys
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 30 Aug 2012, 10:08

I thought that IBQN was run by KCBS standards so there shouldn't be much difference. However all experience is worthwhile and certainly won't detract from your usual excellent performance. I've read a couple of American reviews about KCBS courses and I admit to a wry grin regarding the "oath of allegiance to KCBS". I don't know if that was put in as a serious note or not, whether you attend or not, have a great time, I doubt the weather will be as bad as it was in Bristol :D
keith157

Postby bencops » 30 Aug 2012, 10:48

I'd go for it, but don't be distracted from your game plan
bencops

Postby Eddie » 30 Aug 2012, 11:32

Swindon_Ed wrote:As most of you will know our team is going to be heading over to Kansas City next month to compete in the American Royal BBQ contest.
Has anyone else ever taken part in a KCBS class and do you think it would be worth while doing this?

Who eles that you know of are attending? Have you asked them of there views? If your happy with your product, will it be just case of being a KCBS certified judge that is more appealing?

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 30 Aug 2012, 12:52

Personally i don't care about being a KCBS judge as i've got no interest in judging, it's more about knowing exactly what the judges will be looking for and giving us the best possible chance to place well.

I've noticed when cooking against some other teams who're successful in the US, that they'll cook certain categories to the point that i would class (and everything i've ever been told about comp' bbq) as over done & also make sure that our flavour profiles are correct for that area as they're going to have different tastes compared to what people like in the UK.

I've been talking to one guy who's going to be competing at the Royal as well so maybe i should speak with him about it. I was just wondering what the thoughts on it are from other teams who've competed in the US before.
Swindon_Ed

Postby BBQFanatic » 30 Aug 2012, 16:28

Ed,

As far as I am aware (and Scot/Linds/Toby can probably) validate, the KCBS teaches you how to score, but purposefully dont tell you what they think is a good/bad box. In the AR, the invitational will be difficult as they are the top 100 odd teams and have all won and the Open there are 700-800 entries with 600 judges so its just a crap shoot. Everything you have been doing here is how they do it out there, but everyone is using blues hog, so you want to be subtly different !!! I would spend the time tasting local Q' to get a feeling for what does well and what doesnt do well in Kansas city (ie sauces/flavourings). I would also contact as many of the people in the US that compete and get their advice. Either way, it will be a bit of a mind f%&k!!
BBQFanatic

Postby Toby » 30 Aug 2012, 17:16

Wouldnt touch it with a barge pole unless you want to see what organisers are up against trying to get good judges, they (intentionally) dont tel you what a good or bad box looks like, its not about programming a certain flavour its about translating your personal taste to a score card which isnt going to offend anyone. This class also wont help you as a competitor.

Your aim for the comp is powerful inoffensive flavour that appeals to the masses.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events