Grillstock results

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Re: Grillstock results

Postby thelawnet » 03 Jul 2012, 11:03

The Social Smokers wrote:
Swindon_Ed wrote:Thanks everyone for the support we had a great weekend but still trying to get over it at the moment.

keith157 wrote:Congrats to Ed & Emma, GC so now we know the secret, it seems the judges like your food more than you do ;)

I know what you mean keith, i'm now starting to question myself :lol: :lol:

I'm still getting over it too, from the lack of sleep!

Was good to meet you and get adivice from you and Emma. It has inspired us to get involved with more comps next year. We came 15th overall which i thought wasn't too bad for our first comp. The brisket let us down with a shocking placing of 20th. Our highest placing was 11th for chicken and im pleased that our pork but finished above last years 2nd place pork butt! :shock:

How bad was your brisket? I guess you sampled some of the others for comparison?

I know it's not the easiest thing to cook. Do you know where you went wrong?
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby The Social Smokers » 03 Jul 2012, 11:11

I'm not really sure where we went wrong. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't the greatest. It's always been a bit hit or miss for us really. The connective tissue hadn't completely broken down so was a little tough. We had used the Costco brisket and the one we got give didn't have much fat on it. I also should have put the sliced brisket back into the juices before boxing up. Our inexperience showed during that round. We've got a lot of practice to do for brisket, so if you could point me in the direction of so good methods to try i would be grateful.
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 03 Jul 2012, 12:05

I'd recommend picking up Wicked good BBQ by Chris Hart. I've been recommending this to everyone, the best competition book I've seen, hands down.

Brisket is a difficult one, still my weakest category but I'm getting happier with it all the time.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby The Social Smokers » 03 Jul 2012, 12:07

Steve wrote:I'd recommend picking up Wicked good BBQ by Chris Hart. I've been recommending this to everyone, the best competition book I've seen, hands down.

Brisket is a difficult one, still my weakest category but I'm getting happier with it all the time.

Thanks a lot, i'll look into this!
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 03 Jul 2012, 12:09

Oh and this was what I used a few years ago to take my brisket from god awful to not too bad.

http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/bbq ... isket.html

I don't use the same rubs/marinades/sauce but the method is good.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events