Thinking about entering a chili cook off

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Thinking about entering a chili cook off

Postby Ady » 17 Jun 2012, 17:41

Evening all,
I'm after a little advice for a 'competition' (more a fun thing from my point of view) I'm considering entering.
This is the first time I've done anything like this and the time scale has become an issue.
At home I smoke a pork shoulder and add it to my chili, this competition allows four hours start to finish so I'm wondering how I can get some lovely low and slow smoked pork into my dish?

Obviously a shoulder is out of the question so I was thinking about ribs, I'm praying I'll be able to get the smoker up and ready when the gun goes off.

So in four hours, how should I cook a rack? I was thinking about 2 hours smoking, 1 hour wrapped, 1 hour unwrapped. A little texture wouldn't be a bad thing.

Any hint, tips of advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Ady
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Thinking about entering a chili cook off

Postby Steve » 17 Jun 2012, 21:02

Is it Upton Cheyney you're thinking about doing?

I did Reading this year and I'm considering Upton Cheyney too. At reading, I smoked belly pork to get some nice meat in there. I've never tried pp cooked and rested in four hours. You'll need t experiment.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keith157 » 18 Jun 2012, 04:10

If you are worried about time try a couple of pork shoulder steaks on the smoker should cook well within time and you still have untious pork akin to the taste of pp.
keith157

Postby Ady » 18 Jun 2012, 20:19

Yep its Upton Cheyney Steve, seems a little scary though, all this talk of 'teams' and stuff. It'll be just me, a camping stove and a weber, jump in at the deep end I say!
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 19 Jun 2012, 05:29

I did the Reading one this year, it was my first. Really laid back and fun, yeah there were some chefs there and some chilli enthusiasts but I won it with my camping stove and Weber, oh and my beer swilling teammate :lol:

The same guy is organising Upton so I expect it will be the same format and will be fun. I'm also going to prepare a little something special for a couple of the judges for after the competition. They're proper chile heads so BBQ is going to meet extreme heat, bring your camera :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keith157 » 19 Jun 2012, 08:02

Won't be there but take your camera so we can see what you are on about :D
keith157

Postby Ady » 21 Jun 2012, 13:14

Any idea if there's a 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc Steve? I'm guessing it will be the same as the reading one you won.
I'd love more than anything not to come last :D but will never know if its just 1st place, then everyone else.

BTW I'm 'shutter wide open' & 'Chilli Hunter' on Face book
Ady
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 24 Jun 2012, 16:01

They announced top 3 at Reading but then they gave out full list of places. I'm really looking forward to it, much less work than a full on BBQ comp and really good fun. Good to know your fb id as well.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events