Great Tip from Diva Q - Parsley Boxes

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Great Tip from Diva Q - Parsley Boxes

Postby Toby » 05 Jun 2012, 12:24

"Making parsley turn in boxes or “the putting green” as it is commonly referred to as is time consuming to say the least. First you have to find parsley no easy task sometimes. You need to find parsley that is all the same shade of green – and that looks alike. You may decide to do a combo lettuce and parsley box or straight up lettuce the choice is yours! I personally do parsley boxes 100% of the time. Our team is small – just my husband and I and the occasional friend that shows up. This task always falls on my lap. I have had many a night where myself and a few friends have had parsley parties working on the 4 turn in boxes for an hour or more. . However I have begun to get into the habit of doing them at home prior to a contest and transferring them on site. I first saw a version of this on the Pickled Pig Forum. This is how I do it.

Start with 4 turn in boxes and label them for each category – depending on how you present your food you may want a box that is fuller and or lower in height with the parsley.

Wash and rinse your parsley thoroughly. Parsley is grown in super moist soil and it can be very gritty when you purchase it.

For 4 boxes I will use anywhere from 12- 18 heads of parsley depending on the size and quality. If you are attending a contest with friends consider splitting the cost of a case. I place my parsley in a bin with a couple inches of water at the bottom to keep it moist and hydrated. IF you are keeping the parsley in your fridge for a couple of days make sure to change out the water."

rest of story is here http://divaq.ca/links/making-parsley-tu ... in-advance
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Great Tip from Diva Q - Parsley Boxes

Postby funtimebbq » 06 Jun 2012, 22:56

Quite a contrast to the method many of you will learn from Harry. I'd tell you but don't want to spoil the surprise. Also, if you are not attending his competition class, he usually shows new teams his box making method at the competitions early turn-in morning (if asked).

Benny
funtimebbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Toby » 07 Jun 2012, 05:45

We will take all the hints and tips we can :lol:
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby funtimebbq » 07 Jun 2012, 15:26

OK, one hint.

What can you actually see under the meat of your turn-in box?

Benny
funtimebbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Toby » 07 Jun 2012, 16:07

absolutely bugger all :lol:
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 07 Jun 2012, 17:16

I think i know what you're on about Benny ;) Just haven't really been sure how to do it so i'll look forward to seeing how it's done in the class.

On the subject of parsley boxes, i'll be having a go at the parsley ice block idea that was being discussed at MIM
Swindon_Ed

Postby funtimebbq » 07 Jun 2012, 21:38

Toby wrote:absolutely bugger all :lol:

I'm going to need to purchase an English/American translation dictionary if I'm to keep posting here. LOL.

Benny
funtimebbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gazz_46 » 07 Jun 2012, 22:26

funtimebbq wrote:
Toby wrote:absolutely bugger all :lol:

I'm going to need to purchase an English/American translation dictionary if I'm to keep posting here. LOL.

Benny

Translated.................jack sh**

like to do my bit for anglo american relations :lol: :roll: :lol:
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events