level playing field

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Re: level playing field

Postby fleagle » 16 May 2012, 05:54

Point taken :D
fleagle
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 16 May 2012, 07:32

fleagle wrote:Point taken :D

Hope I didn't come across condescending there. Was not my intention.

I think people tend to start out in competition thinking they should make everything from scratch, I certainly did. It was only competing in America that taught me different. I just want to help teams get to grips with competing quickly so they can hit the ground running. If you start out with a proven flavour, you can concentrate on learning to cook perfectly, then you can work at changing flavours. Too many variables in an experiment isn't a good idea :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrBlue » 16 May 2012, 08:28

Eddie wrote:So who's cheating, Mr blue?

anyone who uses un-natural chemicals to alter the texture of meat for the sake of winning, after all this is the place of GENUINE BBQ :) - what's next, mechanically reclaimed, shaped and formed boneless chicken thighs with ready made crispy skin :o ?? ..................But this is only our opinion of course! :D
MrBlue
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby esselle » 16 May 2012, 09:48

Where can I buy that chicken? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
With top quality cooks competing like you, John, I will take all the chemical and non-chemical help I can get. :D
However if it was to ever be banned I have the confidence to revert to natural ways, as to continue their use then would be cheating. Also if we start to analyse everything that isn't natural or doesn't have all natural ingredients we are on a slippery path. Everyone should check their supermarket ingredients that they may be using to cook/make rubs and sauces with, you might be quite shocked. :o
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby joker smoker » 16 May 2012, 09:58

In other sports,performance enhancing drugs are most definitely frowned upon. As the majority of American meat is already pumped full of antibiotics and steroids I suppose it seems OK to add a few sulphites and phosphates to the mix. As a British BBQ athlete, :D ,using British meat, I prefer to go the ''drug free, chemical free'' route. Maybe we should be setting an example to our American cousins. :lol: Joking aside though , it will always be about your conscience. There will always be those who look to find loopholes in the laws to gain advantage. UNTIL THE RULES ARE CHANGED WE CAN ONLY PLAY THESE PEOPLE AT THEIR OWN GAME.[AND OF COURSE DERIDE THEM FOR THEIR SLIMY BRISKET :lol: ]
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby joker smoker » 16 May 2012, 10:22

MrBlue wrote:

- what's next, mechanically reclaimed, shaped and formed boneless chicken thighs with ready made crispy skin :o ?? ..................But this is only our opinion of course! :D

How do you think I finally started to get placed in chicken?
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Smokey Toad » 16 May 2012, 10:23

From a personal point of view, I make my own rubs. I and my friends love them. Also I have family members who are alergic to MSG (GIves them heart palputations) so the additives are a no-no.

At the first MIM comp Colin, Clive (Can never remebr his name, now moved to SA) told me we should not use MSG , I didnt and came third in CHicken, Never bothered worring about fake flavour since.

From a judges point of view, we get ONE taste if we need to deecide we will go back and compair two pieces of meat at the end of tasting (Then keep the rest for a doggy bag) We look for flavour and texture in the meat as well as the extra flavour given by the rubs etc. It is an individual preferance thing, but when you taste a winner, you all know its a winner.

Good luck to all competing at MIM this year, I will be bringing my empty belly and looking forward to tasting all your offerings this season.

Tom
Smokey Toad
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby joker smoker » 16 May 2012, 11:19

QUOTE....,Tom
Meat over Sweet, Any day! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D YES SIRRRR!
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Eddie » 16 May 2012, 11:32

MrBlue wrote:

anyone who uses un-natural chemicals to alter the texture of meat for the sake of winning, after all this is the place of GENUINE BBQ :) - what's next, mechanically reclaimed, shaped and formed boneless chicken thighs with ready made crispy skin :o ?? ..................But this is only our opinion of course! :D

So who's use's un-natural chemicals to alter the texrure of meat for the sake of winning ? Mr Blue.
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby MrBlue » 16 May 2012, 11:55

Eddie wrote: So who's use's un-natural chemicals to alter the texrure of meat for the sake of winning ? Mr Blue.

Who knows............maybe MIM will expose them! :)
MrBlue
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events