level playing field

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

level playing field

Postby joker smoker » 14 May 2012, 21:34

i would like to see a stall at competitions selling a variety of the top rubs, injections and sauces in small quantities..I feel this would make a more level playing field and the results would be more about who can cook than who has procured the ''winning'' products.
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: level playing field

Postby keith157 » 15 May 2012, 05:28

Would that be a part of the comp, ie choose your weapon and run with it, or are you suggesting it as a retail venture for those of us visiting? (I'd favour the latter of course)
keith157

Postby Toby » 15 May 2012, 07:41

I am sure if someone decides to import them they will arrange a stall at the competitions. Its not something I am interested in personally.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Eddie » 15 May 2012, 10:46

Spending the long hard winter months importing rubs, sauce & marinades at a very high cost and and trying to improve your end product is what I thought it was all about ? Then spending the whole time in sitting on one's backside and just turning up on the day, being told that this is your rub/sauce/marinade and go cook with it. There is a level playing field and that is shopping on the internet, spending time cooking and doing one's homework.
But it would be good to have a stall selling various goods, but not compulsory to purchase any.

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 15 May 2012, 11:58

I'm pretty sure John wasn't implying that you would be given compulsory rubs/sauces etc.

He was just making the point that it would be nice to have a supply of US products available at the competitions so that it's easier for teams to get hold of and try proven products.

Having looked at the costs of importing before though, I'm not sure anyone could make any money out of it, thus I'm not sure anyone would be prepared to do it.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 15 May 2012, 17:58

Eddie, I absolutely detest the taste of Blues Hog and Butcher BBQ [ and to a lesser extent Cimaron Docs and Plowboys]yet this seems to be what judges in the BBQ world [HERE AND THE USA] are programmed to score highly. if everybody were then to use these same ingredients the only difference between each others food would be each team's ability to cook [level playing field]. This should be a competition about who can cook not about how much time spent nerding on the internet shigging as to which is the ''winningest''[sic] rub. if I HAVE TO USE COMPOUND INJECTIONS TO WIN THEN I WILL BUT I STRESS MOST EMPHATICALLY THAT THIS IS NOT GOOD BBQ!If i have to import these products and distribute them freely myself in order to bring on their downfall then so be it. BBQ should be about natural ingredients and what is happening on the competition circuit is turning good food into processed muck. I know that my views will offend some people here but that's life. Putting sulphites and phosphates into meat offends ME! :evil:
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby MrBlue » 15 May 2012, 18:24

Couldn't agree more John - performance enhancing meat texture or flavour in ANY way should be banned (although impossible to enforce) - we find it very sad that some will go to such lengths just to win/cheat.......... boooooooooo :(
MrBlue
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby From The Sauce » 15 May 2012, 18:35

Technically not cheating if they are not banned.
From The Sauce
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby From The Sauce » 15 May 2012, 18:38

Steve wrote:I'm pretty sure John wasn't implying that you would be given compulsory rubs/sauces etc.

He was just making the point that it would be nice to have a supply of US products available at the competitions so that it's easier for teams to get hold of and try proven products.

Having looked at the costs of importing before though, I'm not sure anyone could make any money out of it, thus I'm not sure anyone would be prepared to do it.

I have to say that our reception at Rudgwick to selling imported American rubs and sauces was not received particularly well. I like the idea and think it would work but what volume are competitors going to buy in?
From The Sauce
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby bencops » 15 May 2012, 18:42

I know its a bit filthy but weve already had this discussion. I believe it was un policeable. Plus the ibqn is training people for american comps and thats the way they roll.

Id be up for an all natural comp, or at least all home made rubs and sauces and no phosphates on the assumption that we trust each other. could be good for a post season friendly, but i wouldnt want it to detract from the main season.
bencops

Next

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events