Ribstock

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Ribstock

Postby Toby » 28 Apr 2012, 17:21

Did anyone from here go? I would love to hear a first hand opinion. Been following on twitter but i think people have been over harsh.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ribstock

Postby Swindon_Ed » 28 Apr 2012, 21:34

Just got back after a very long day.

Not sure what comments you've seen, but there was quite a bit of controversy around the judging.

Putting that aside it was a good event.The public seemed to enjoy themselves, just a shame we weren't able to stay for the after party with Richard Bacon which I'm sure would've been very interesting :?

I'll put some photo's up tomorrow, as it's bath & sleep for me now.
Swindon_Ed

Postby BBQFanatic » 29 Apr 2012, 13:20

Tickets were sold out in 3mins so I wasnt fast enough - According to twitter -

RedHook
Lucky Chip (Apparently their burgers are some of the best in the country.... hopefully I get to sample them soon)
Andy Annaut (BBQ Champ??)

There was some issues with the blind tasting of the hot sauces, however Tom Park Bowles took the top, with Mark Gevaux (and his HolyFuck, ChristOnAbike, hot sauce close behind). Pity about the weather, in #Ribstock sympathy I went out and Q'd beef and pork ribs so I didnt feel left out. Got wet, but they tasted good!
BBQFanatic

Postby BBQFanatic » 30 Apr 2012, 07:20

BBQFanatic

Postby Steve » 30 Apr 2012, 07:40

Interesting review.

Sounds to me like the winning ribs were over cooked (or it was just because they were boiled) as they were fall off the bone.

I guess it reflects the difference in the judging there. I have to admit if I were to compete in a comp like that I would cook mine to fall off the bone too.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 30 Apr 2012, 08:11

on appearance there is clearly only one winner. the winning ribs were BOILED? :oops: :shock: :o :cry: This time I made the right decision which was NOT to enter this competition. It seems the judges know F.A. about Q.

ps and someone who calls himself ''THE RIB MAN'' enters a pulled pork sandwich in a rib contest...seems I'm not the only joker round here :lol:
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 30 Apr 2012, 08:19

I would agree with you there, on appearance alone there is one clearly outstanding entry. Furthermore, they won't have had the flavour boiled out of them so you'd still taste pork rather than just getting a meat textured mouthful of sauce.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 30 Apr 2012, 08:51

BOILED! :o
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 30 Apr 2012, 08:57

I tried some of the other entries and also talked to Sebastian from Barbecoa who tried them and said that rib wise we had the best taste for his flavour.

I tried the Lucky Chip entry and it was pork belly (no rib bone, so how is it a rib???) that had been sousvide in a black bean sauce then grilled. It was nice but i felt it was quite basic, ours had more flavour to offer with smoke, sweet and heat.

Steve wrote:if I were to compete in a comp like that I would cook mine to fall off the bone too

Looking back yes prehaps we should have done them a bit more but we wanted the public to get a proper rib experiance and hoped that a better texture would see us through.

Here are some pictures from the day, although if you want to see more just use #ribstock on Twitter and you'll see loads from people that attended.

This is the tented area at the start of the day.

Here is the same area once the event got going

This was our stall for the day, the team was Andy heading it up and covering the front giving a Memphis in May style pitch to all of the visitors to the stand, Alex from Sous Vide Tools would was ready to spray customers with single barrel JD, Emma (my other half) was slicing the ribs and me cooking the ribs on the 2 primo XL's we were using.

The Barbecoa team were next to us, and were brilliant neighbours.

Here you've got Inka Grills who had Michelin chef Ben Spalding cooking for them, and then Cabana & Cattle Grid down from them.

Here's me having a beer with Andy & Sebastian from Barbecoa, we had a great time, even if we had hoped for a better result.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Swindon_Ed » 30 Apr 2012, 08:59

esselle wrote:BOILED!

They were all at it, i think us, Barbecoa & Red Dog were the only ones not to!!!
Swindon_Ed

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events