Barbecoa #BBshortrib

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Re: Barbecoa #BBshortrib

Postby Steve » 12 Feb 2012, 20:02

They were cooked at about 250 for 6.5 hours 4.5 in the smoke then 2 in foil. Then they were glazed and the temp was ramped to 275 for just shy of an hour.

I cooked them by feel but for interest sake I took an internal temp with a Thermapen and they'd hit 197. Most of the rack felt good but there was a thick fat vein through the centre I couldn't get out and that felt a little firm. I think they're cooked right but I'm no expert on short ribs so who knows :?
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 14 Feb 2012, 00:07

Just got back from Barbecoa, it's late and I'm tired so I'll keep it brief. Had a fun evening, it was interesting to go into their kitchen, see the cookers and to taste a selection of their food and cocktails.

The rib cook was won by Andy Annat and I have to say his was the standout rib in my opinion. Tasted Ed's and it was also really good. Mine was ok, I felt the glaze was lost in reheating so the horseradish kick wasn't there as hoped. Might have been from the reheating being too hot but who knows, it wasn't a bad rib for sure :)

Most interesting was the second place dish, a rib pudding made with suet pastry. The rib meat had been stripped, don't think it had ever seen smoke, but credit where credit's due, it was a tasty dish.

It was always about having fun though and it certainly was a fun evening. I'd recommend having a bash at one of these if they do any more. Barbecoa is pretty swanky, a world away from places like Oklahoma Joe's for sure.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JEC » 14 Feb 2012, 06:33

Nice to see a familiar name is still at the top of their game and rightfully deserved the title of British Barbecue Champion. Sounds like a good chance to do BBQ different you'll have to get Toby to organise another one
JEC

Postby esselle » 14 Feb 2012, 07:07

Well done Steve sounds like a good experience.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Toby » 14 Feb 2012, 07:12

JEC wrote:Nice to see a familiar name is still at the top of their game and rightfully deserved the title of British Barbecue Champion. Sounds like a good chance to do BBQ different you'll have to get Toby to organise another one

More than happy to leave it to the JO and Barbecoa team, I have enough on my plate :lol:
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 14 Feb 2012, 07:38

It was a good night, I'll put some photos up later. Funny thing was I spotted Andy's rib as soon as I tasted it, took me back three years to Rother Valley, was just like his brisket from back then. The guy certainly knows his beef, although we reckon his daughter Milly cooked it :lol:

Best bit for me was getting a look at the custom built kit in the kitchen and as sad as it sounds I was quite excited by their half million extraction system. Also met up with the chefs who were cooking at the Feastival and of course got to chew the fat with Ed and his lovely partner Emma which is always a pleasure. Nice to sit down and relax with some BBQ folk when you're not busy with competition stuff. :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 14 Feb 2012, 07:50

well done everybody on what sounds a great little competition.. :D
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 14 Feb 2012, 19:26

Here are some of the pictures that I took of the evening.

This is a cocktail demo' that was given to us. The barman made their signature drink the Barbecoa Blazer.

Barbecoa also boasts that it has the largest bourbon collection this side of the Atlantic.

They were good enough to lay out some of their own dishes for everyone to try; this was their pit beef which was very tasty.

This was Barbecoa's own beef rib which was also tasty. They did also bring out some babybacks & pulled pork which wasn't the best I’ve ever had but still ok.

This is their smoker which they had custom built in Texas and imported.

Barbecoa also do more than just American BBQ, this is one of their argentine style grills which they use for grilling steaks and other items like this.

This was one of the other entrees.

Another entry.

My ribs as i pulled them off the smoker before i took them upto Barbecoa.

Judges deliberating over the entrees.

That damn pudding!!!
Swindon_Ed

Postby Steve » 14 Feb 2012, 21:22

Some more pics...

Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 14 Feb 2012, 22:32

Swindon_Ed wrote:Image
They were good enough to lay out some of their own dishes for everyone to try; this was their pit beef which was very tasty.

I had this when we dined there, and I was impressed enough to ask about the dish. According to the guy I spoke to in their kitchen, their pit beef is actually jacob's ladder (again!), but boned and rolled before cooking.

This surprised me, as ribs had never occurred to me as being suitable for boning before cooking.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events