Mayhem in May 2012

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Re: Mayhem in May 2012

Postby Toby » 05 Jul 2012, 13:58

I have 5 acres here, with power, toilets, showers etc so we could fit over a hundred teams in if that was every necessary so no problems from a space perspective :)
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 05 Jul 2012, 14:09

There're always room for more teams, and all the teams are really friendly and willing to give advice.

Normally it falls on the May bank holiday which is good as everyone tends to arrive on Friday as this is party night, then cook Saturday night for hand in on Sunday. A lot of people then stay on the Sunday night for a beer before everyone leaves on the Monday morning. I like this setup as once I've finished cooking i want to be able to have a drink and relax and not worry about having to drive home :D
Swindon_Ed

Postby The Social Smokers » 05 Jul 2012, 14:27

I'll definitely be up for this. We enjoyed Grillstock KOTG so much that we kind of got the comp bug now (it was our first comp). Always looking for ways to improve and better ourselves whilst having fun along the way :)
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 05 Jul 2012, 14:49

I've not done Grillstock, it looks great to do as a competitor though. I suspect the vibe at MiM is quite different though. It's a real friends and family feel and the teams with experience are all very willing to show pretty much everything.

Those of us who have been around the block a bit have usually got spare bits and bobs too, there's pretty much always someone who can lend you anything you forget. Friday night is the best social bit, there's a few of us with fire pits so everyone tends to meander round from pitch to pitch having a beer and a chat at each fire :D

I love it, I've known some of these guys for four years now, each one I met through the competition circuit and several of them are now really close friends. It's always good to meet new teams too. This year we've had the pleasure of the company of Colin, I mean Jamie, I mean Charlie, sod it the guy in the penguin costume who has been a barrel of laughs at both events so far. :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby philnewts » 05 Jul 2012, 14:50

I agree, a relaxed and friendly site and event. A great place to get involved without much stress .
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby The Social Smokers » 05 Jul 2012, 14:54

Grillstock was friendly too. Everyone was lending eachother kit, sharing advice and having a laugh. I didn't speak to one person with a chip on their shoulder. I think that's just BBQ, food is love people.
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 05 Jul 2012, 15:04

Steve wrote:................. It's always good to meet new teams too. This year we've had the pleasure of the company of Colin, I mean Jamie, I mean Charlie, sod it the guy in the penguin costume who has been a barrel of laughs at both events so far. :D

Oh you mean Pingu ;) :lol:

He did a great job at MiM and was a roaring success at Canvey as well I understand 8-)
keith157

Postby Swindon_Ed » 05 Jul 2012, 15:29

The Social Smokers wrote:Grillstock was friendly too. Everyone was lending eachother kit, sharing advice and having a laugh. I didn't speak to one person with a chip on their shoulder. I think that's just BBQ, food is love people.

Grillstock was a blast and everyone was great, i'll be doing it again next year and will recomend it to anyone, but it's a shame that you've got to wait another year before you see the people that you've made friends with, if they decide to do it again (although this is looking like it will change next year).
Swindon_Ed

Postby The Social Smokers » 05 Jul 2012, 15:36

Swindon_Ed wrote:
The Social Smokers wrote:Grillstock was friendly too. Everyone was lending eachother kit, sharing advice and having a laugh. I didn't speak to one person with a chip on their shoulder. I think that's just BBQ, food is love people.

Grillstock was a blast and everyone was great, i'll be doing it again next year and will recomend it to anyone, but it's a shame that you've got to wait another year before you see the people that you've made friends with, if they decide to do it again (although this is looking like it will change next year).

I spoke to Grillstock production manager Sarah last night (she lives at the end of my road funnily enough) and she was saying they are thinking of doing one in London and Bristol next year. So fingers crossed! The only thing with Grillstock is that it might start to become difficult to get a place. I'd love to do it every year if i can but it all depends if we can get a place. It was over subscribed this year.
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby philnewts » 05 Jul 2012, 16:24

You have a title to defend!!!
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events