Grillstock 2012

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Re: Grillstock 2012

Postby JEC » 11 Feb 2012, 19:35

drbbq wrote:Hey guys,
I'll answer what I can.

The rules are coming. The delay is that me and Jon are on different continents but I believe you will have them at least 90 days before the event and they will be updated this year. You'll be cooking the traditional BBQ meats so if I were you I'd work on those for now ;)

Steve if you''re cooking I will personally gaurantee that you can stay overnight on site. I'm not exactly sure what the policy is but I will go out on a limb for you and any other serious competitors that find this to be the deal breaker.

The IBIS is right there as well as a Marriott. Hooters is close as well and Al will buy you a beer there every night.

Thanks for the update Doc, I am sure any changes in the rules will be welcome and all in the spirit of improving the event. Now just to get me to the top of the reserves list!!
JEC

Postby RobinC » 12 Feb 2012, 20:43

I will be attending (not competing) again this year. Family had a great time last year and everyone is up for another trip. We live in a pretty rural location so the kids get the added "treat" of visiting a city. Picked up some good deals along with some good advice/tips - hopefully will get plenty of both again this year. Looking forward to it!
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby bbqstu » 15 Feb 2012, 20:47

Sorry to be the bearer of terrible news but hooters has been shut
bbqstu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 15 Feb 2012, 21:40

bbqstu wrote:Sorry to be the bearer of terrible news but hooters has been shut

:o :o :o
Swindon_Ed

Postby keith157 » 16 Feb 2012, 08:30

Swindon_Ed wrote:

DITTO

Where do we go from here? Is there anyone who is local to Bristol who can suggest a new watering hole????
keith157

Postby JEC » 16 Feb 2012, 13:45

There is a converted grain barge just down the road that does a good pint
JEC

Postby Swindon_Ed » 16 Feb 2012, 18:48

keith157 wrote:
Swindon_Ed wrote:

DITTO

Where do we go from here? Is there anyone who is local to Bristol who can suggest a new watering hole????

There are loads of bars around the harbourside and failing that park street is just round the corner with plenty of good watering holes so I'm sure we'll be fine.
Swindon_Ed

Postby JEC » 16 Feb 2012, 20:09

I know a certain Dr who knows where all of the haunts are, good and bad ;)
JEC

Postby keith157 » 17 Feb 2012, 06:29

Thanks for the info as a "Grillstock Virgin" it's nice to know there are alternatives ;)
keith157

Postby Toby » 26 Feb 2012, 06:37

New Grillstock Rules

King of the Grill 2012 Official Rules
The 2012 Weber ‘King of the Grill’ is a two-day barbecue cooking competition with seven formally judged rounds running throughout the weekend.

Entry is £150 per team and this includes your competition meat if you wish, however you are free to source your own meat if you prefer.

Main Turn-In Times are:
Saturday
12.00 - Cooks Choice
13.30 - Dessert
15.00 - Ribs
17.00 - Brisket

Sunday
12.00 Chicken
13.30 BBQ Beans
15.00 Pork

All rounds are mandatory and carry individual prizes, however, only the points scored in chicken, pork shoulder, brisket and ribs will count towards the overall Grand Champion prize.

Turn-ins are be staggered by two minutes per team. The exact times will be drawn at random in advance of the weekend and teams will be given their precise turn in times at the cook’s meeting on the Friday evening.

Timings are strict and entries will only be accepted five minutes before to five minutes after your allocated submission time.

There will be a cook’s meeting at 7pm Friday Evening in the Grillstock bar where Dr.BBQ will brief the teams on the competition and also answer any questions you may have.

Turn In Info
Chicken – Chicken may be cooked whole, halved or in pieces.
Ribs – Pork spare ribs or loin ribs only.
Pork Shoulder – Boston Butt, Picnic and/or whole shoulder and cooked as a single piece of meat
Brisket – May be whole brisket, flat, or point
Chef’s Choice – Can be anything you want to cook that is not already covered by one of the main categories
Dessert and BBQ Beans – must be prepared on site and a majority part must be cooked on the BBQ. The rest is up to you.

Judging
Scoring will take place in the judging tent in full view of teams and the general public. Five judges will score your food. We require 7 samples so that the last judge still has a few samples to choose from.

The four qualifying entries are to be submitted in a standard (approx 9" by 9") styrene box – one box per round. Grillstock will provide the boxes. In each box you will need to place at least 7 separate pieces of the required entry. Garnish is also allowed and limited only by the rule that it must be edible.

Chef’s Choice, Beans, and Dessert may be served on your own plates uncovered if you desire.

We will provide a sheet of labels printed with your team name. A sticker must be attached to the outside lid of your styrene box for each round.

Dishes may be submitted with as much flair, panache, garnish and general embellishment as teams wish – the only rules are the garnish must be either edible or part of the meat, and the box must be able to close.

Please make sure you turn in enough for at least seven judges to sample – in easily identifiable portions.

It is your responsibility to deliver your entry to the judges table at your allocated turn-in time. An official Grillstock time-keeper will be present to book in your entry. Early or late entries will not be accepted and you will forfeit that particular round.

Our main judging panel lead by Dr.BBQ will score the four core meat rounds. The beans, chef’s choice and dessert other rounds may be judged by other food-lovers.

Judging Criteria
King of the Grill judges have 100 points to allocate for each dish they taste and will follow these guidelines:

1. APPEARANCE OF ENTRY
How appetizing does the entry appear? The first bite is with the eye after all.
Points available per round = 20

2. TEXTURE OF ENTRY
The entry should be moist and easy to chew. It should pull easily from the bone, but retain body with moisture and texture.
Points available per round = 30

3. TASTE OF ENTRY
Are there smoke and flavours cooked into the meat? What magic is your rub making? Does the sauce add to the dish or clash?
Points available per round = 50

In the event of a tie, the score sheet of the Head Judge, Dr.BBQ, will be used decide the winner.

All scores will be made available to teams after the event.

Prizes
The prize-giving will take place on Sunday afternoon. There will be an award for each individual category and then overall Grand Champion.

There will also be awards for Best Dressed Stand, Best Team Name & Spirit of BBQ.

The prize for the team winning the Weber King of the Grill Grand Champion award is £1000 cash.

Meat
Meat inspection will take place on Friday at 5pm. All the competition meat you need is included in your entry fee, however, should you prefer to bring your own meat to cook instead then we need to make sure it has not been pre-seasoned or marinated in any way and also that you have brought the correct cuts.

Your Pitch
Each team gets a covered 6m x 3m pitch with open sides. You will also be given a 6 foot table and have access to a power-point. You should ensure you have at least one team member present on your pitch at all times.

We encourage you to dress up your pitch as much as you can. Bring banners, trophys, mascots, dancers etc.

Equipment
Teams are encouraged to bring their own kit. However our sponsors, Weber, have made a limited number of their Kettle BBQ’s and Smokey Mountain Smokers available to teams that are unable to bring their own. These will be allocated on a first come first served basis to please let us know in advance if you need to borrow some gear!

Charcoal/lumpwood will also be provided by Weber as well as a limited amount of their smoking chips.

Pre-Made Sauces & Rubs etc.
For clarification – it is fine for you to use pre-made sauces and rubs during the competition. Bring your best.

Food Hygiene
As members of the public may taste your cooking it is essential that you follow best practice in food safety. We will also have a Food Safety Manager on duty throughout the event and it will be essential that you follow any advice given

Overnight Cooking
The competition runs across the Saturday and Sunday. From Friday evening onwards, competition teams can access the festival site to cook at any point, night or day. Show your wristband to the security staff for access.

Additional
Only one entry per category, per team will be allowed.
Competition dishes must be prepared only on a wood and/or charcoal.
Each team must have an approved fire extinguisher near all cooking devices.
Competitors will have the use of a designated competition washing up area.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events