Boneless & Skinless Chicken at Comps

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Re: Boneless & Skinless Chicken at Comps

Postby British BBQ Society » 23 Apr 2010, 19:03

Hi John, yes it was covered and amended in the rules, have a read through they are updated when a mutual decision is reached among members,

Cheers

Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bingo1912 » 13 May 2011, 16:44

As a judge with the PNWBA (CBJ#200510) and a cook I love skin! It is my belief that skin should be left on, that being said it is very difficult to get good bite-through without it being rubbery.
The best way I have found to get good skin is to use "Grillgrates" This product allows higher temps to be achieved without flareups or burning your chicken producing crispy skin.
My wife does not like chicken skin but when I use "Grillgrate" she will eat it like its potato chips. :D
bingo1912
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby British BBQ Society » 13 May 2011, 18:37

DrSweetsmoke wrote:
MadCow wrote:Well ... in my opinion, with my chief bitch (sorry, head judge) hat on ... If you turn in chicken with skin on, the judges are obliged to taste it ... we can only judge what is in the box, therefore officially you shouldn't lose points
Jackie

Yup, same as if you turn in pulled pork AND the money muscle both have to be tasted from what I understand. Can we get some clarity on this in the BBBQS judging rules?

like KCBS everyting in the box will be judged, up to you if you put more or less in there,
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby British BBQ Society » 13 May 2011, 19:08

Hi Al,

Don’t think you are thick, remember the comp Q & A, if you think its appropriate please remember to post here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=806 although you didn’t follow the judging criteria when you took part, the guidelines are now monitored to stop indiscretions

In the British BBQ Society, everything in the box is judged same as it has always been. i will add this question to the correct thread for you.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vic. » 14 May 2011, 13:24

bingo1912 wrote:As a judge with the PNWBA (CBJ#200510) and a cook I love skin! It is my belief that skin should be left on, that being said it is very difficult to get good bite-through without it being rubbery.
The best way I have found to get good skin is to use "Grillgrates" This product allows higher temps to be achieved without flareups or burning your chicken producing crispy skin.
My wife does not like chicken skin but when I use "Grillgrate" she will eat it like its potato chips. :D

I've started to deep fry my chicken/duck after I smoke it. There's still a good amount of smoke in the taste.....Don't know whether the judges will allow that, but it works for home cooking ;)
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby bingo1912 » 14 May 2011, 17:29

As long as the fat has been heated on the grill I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed.
As a judge I don't personally dislike it when the skin comes off, especially when that skin is soft and luscious. But as a judge I have to follow the rules and score it down.
That being said, as a judge next to me once said. "I like it when my ribs fall off the bone" so, there are some variables among judges. Getting good bite-through is extremely difficult. Time, temps, fat content, how long it sits in the box and humidity all play a factor. Sometimes you get it right,,,,,,,, If I don't. I peel the skin off. :lol:
bingo1912
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Previous

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events