Got my first gig - well sort of

Details of all cooking events,please add details of any events you are aware of that may have been missed

Got my first gig - well sort of

Postby Curlie028 » 28 Jul 2011, 11:32

The Boss works in the local Coronary Care Unit and they have a fundraising BBQ each year. It is just amongst the staff themselves though, so nothing grand. To be honest it is as much a team builder for the ward, come get together for a laugh and as a byproduct they raise a few quid for milk, coffee, teabags and the like for the year but last year they made so much they bought a small flat screen telly for the waiting area, for visitors.
Everyone brings something and before they leave they stick, in a secret bucket, what they would have paid for the grub. One of the doctors has been treated to my basic cheese burger, so there was a request, from him, for some for this year. The deal is, I prep the burgers and he will pay me and take them as his offering but giving me the credit. The host this year has also tasted my version of the fantastic American Slaw, from the sides forum and requested a massive bowl of same.
I can get briskets from makro of only about 2.5kg and have told the Boss I will smoke her a couple as her offering.
I will donate my costs to the fund and I have asked the host to do the burger using indirect grilling, after searing them.
Unfortunately it is a staff only gig, so I cannot be there to spread the word but I'm told the smoker and "this indirect grilling thing" is all the talk in advance of the event. So while I will not be there, I am spreading the word indirectly. .......... Indirectly, did you see what I did there :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Anyway, it is Monday evening and if the weather is good, I plan to smoke the brisket on site and leave the WSM as, hopefully, a talking point.
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Got my first gig - well sort of

Postby Curlie028 » 28 Jul 2011, 18:18

Good call Al.
Will entrust the Boss with my thermapen and send her off with strict instructions.
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Curlie028 » 02 Aug 2011, 10:54

All went fantastic.
The Boss says the brisket was all the talk, the ribs just disappeared. The burgers also blew all the other (bought) burgers out of the water.
All in all a great result and there was an American lady there who has lived here for 9 years now and she said the brisket in particular reminder her of BBQ'ed grub she seeks out when she goes "home" to visit. Now that will do me as a compliment. :D :D :D :D
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 02 Aug 2011, 18:53

Well done, maybe next time you can get the compliments directly yourself
JEC

Postby Curlie028 » 03 Aug 2011, 10:34

Got a big squad coming to our's on Saturday for number 2's 21st birthday BBQ.
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Competitions Cook-offs & Events