Burgers

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

Re: Burgers

Postby Tiny » 18 Nov 2014, 19:48

Gents,
I can offer my approach. Butchers mince, mostly from the cclod as I understand but with some added fat. Cant be more specific but if you want to replicate it comes from Sheperds family butchers in Drayton near Portsmouth.

I take this and add ground dried garlic, a ground black and red pepper mix mix it and then into the cheapo Lakeland burger press, filling it up leaves you with an c6oz patty but quite wide. It is then a squish, not a power squeeze, and off to the fridhge for a good 40 mins or even in the top of the chest freezer for a bit.

Sear and cook through, a rare burger is like gnowing on the sputum of Satan, raw steak lovely,, raw burger oooooh no.

I know its a separate thread but Tomato, just bloody no, not ever, it will bring tortional instability to your creation, and your poor guests will be doing the bite squish, reverse try and tuck it back, now top and bottom bap are not aligned there is sauce redistribution, hand related enslimement and what should have been a beef based caress is now like trying to wrestle a bogey related slime stack. If ever a fool offers you an burger with a slice of tomato in it extract and consume and your life will be the richer for it.

Whilst on a roll, or perhaps even a brioche bun, the absurdly tall burger. I don't have a flip top head, and even if I I did putting the whole burger in and closing it would asphyixiate me and I always think the enjoyment of bbq food is marred by the very real risk of death.

Thus I should be able to bite your burger, not slam my face into the side of it and start gnowing like a dog with an football. So no thanks to an wafer thin (those of a certain generation affect a mock French accent) burger that is dry as an cardboard box, yes to the juicy non rare patty and no to the beef bowling ball.

And the dill pickle, like an angel crying on your tongue.......

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Nutty » 18 Nov 2014, 22:25

One word. Bone-marrow! (well its hyphened!)
The best burgers I've eaten have had bone marrow in, which is essentially just mega flavoured fat.

As Tiny said, you need to cook through, or the fat/bone marrow wont melt properly. I like my burgers just pink in the middle, just to say they're not over-cooked.

No eggs, ruins the flavour and it doesn't need it. If your meat wont bind, its probably too wet. Add salt and mush it up and it should bind together just fine.

Put plenty of seasoning on, I use Turner & George steak rub and literally cover them in it. Half of it falls out during grilling anyway.

Marks and Spencer sell brioche burger buns now, they're in a packet, nice and light, and they freeze superbly. I get about 8 packs everytime I go :)
Nutty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 19 Nov 2014, 11:42

tommo666 wrote:i get my 20% mince from asda and it's not the value brand. If i use a higher meat contest like 5% i add bacon fat. I cook down some streaky bacon till crisp, crunch it all up and add it and the fat to the mince. Gives it a certain something :-)

Not tried asda. Thanks. have tried 40 60 pork n beef mince. Was good but not quite burgery enough. I am thinking about buying beef fat or dripping and trying that.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 19 Nov 2014, 11:52

I would have thought that a butchers would give you beef fat for free - they usually throw it away.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 19 Nov 2014, 11:53

Thanks tiny. Very amusing post as always! :)
I have pondered clod but hard to get in a supermarket. Really hard to get to a butcher for me. They all close before I get home and close at 12 on a Saturday just when I leave. Grrrrr.
been looking into flank as well. Looks nice and fatty. Any experience of that?

I have to confess farder tiny that I rader like a tommy on me borga.:D
I do tend to go for not too ripe and or shake the wet stuff out though.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Verminskti » 19 Nov 2014, 11:55

Sainsburys do brioche buns in c their premium range if thats more your scene than st Michaels.

Have to second the properly cooked burger though. Patty and Bun in London kinda stared at me like you would some one that asked for a well done steak when i requested mine well done. Had to ask twice despite being given the option.

As for tomato. Yes. I always end up with saucy fingers (easy) from removing the tomato. It has no place in a burger. It has a very strong flavour, is drippy, makes the lower bun disintegrate and often a bite doesn't get through that tough old skin meaning you pull it all out. Okay for you clean shaven types not for the men amongst us! ;-)
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 19 Nov 2014, 11:55

Thanks nutty. Where apart from adding winalot would I get such a thing? Butcher? Or do you get the bones and dig it out?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 19 Nov 2014, 11:57

Moving away from the meat.. Any burger can be made one thousand times better with the addition of a bit of stilton on top ; :mrgreen:
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 19 Nov 2014, 11:59

Verminskti wrote:Sainsburys do brioche buns in c their premium range if thats more your scene than st Michaels.

Have to second the properly cooked burger though. Patty and Bun in London kinda stared at me like you would some one that asked for a well done steak when i requested mine well done. Had to ask twice despite being given the option.

As for tomato. Yes. I always end up with saucy fingers (easy) from removing the tomato. It has no place in a burger. It has a very strong flavour, is drippy, makes the lower bun disintegrate and often a bite doesn't get through that tough old skin meaning you pull it all out. Okay for you clean shaven types not for the men amongst us! ;-)

Well blow me doon. Been looking in sainsbury and never found it. Maybe sell out quick. Will have to ask. Thanks.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 19 Nov 2014, 17:59

Yeti dave,
You place me at an dilemma. Stilton has the same conundrumic quality as beef. In that a rare steak is a thing of beauty a rare burger is the devils bogey, stilton and crackers, bottle of port and it is "repeat to fade"

But stilton on or in anything nooooooo not at all, this is beezlebubs toenail scrapings, it just brings a greasy rankness to proceedings, I know in my heart I must be wrong but sadly stilton on is a no no for me.

In fact I am a cheese bigot, on my burger I want chemical processed please, I will live with monterrey jack or smoked at a push but really would prefer an unctuous plastic wrapped chemical cheese slice please.....

Am loving the bone marrow idea, as for flank I am not sure, I love it slow cooked for Chilli but a more meatistically minded fellow than I should comment. The clod plus fat thing isn't my design it is what the chaps at the butchers use.

So I guess I should cut to the chase my perfect burger by Tiny Morris aged 45 and a quarter.

Don't mind a burger bap but it must be able to stay intact, no long life crumbliness, I don't think I have ever had a brioche bun but they sound good, and if on a meat eating frenzy then a warburtons thin.
Solid 6-8oz patty cooked through well seasoned I like garlic and plenty of pepper.
Topped with chemical cheese 2 slices therof.
Sliced gherkins and jalepenos from a jar, both have to be a bit floppy
frenchs American yellow on the base, Heinz classic tomato on the top
Some finely sliced salad onions, the small sweet ones on the base.

I don't want bacon on it, it adds no value, bacon is fantastic but I really cant see what it brings to the burger
I don't want mushrooms they will make it soggy
Would I like a spoonful of chilli con carne? no of course not, I wouldn't like a ladle of chicken soup either as both would hydrate my bap to the point of complete destruction
You can keep your salad
Why on earth would I want an egg?
Or god forbid a pineapple ring!

If you offered me extra pulled pork, or offered to spice it up with hot sauce I consider these acceptable deviations, as are fried onions at a push.

So there are my rules, I know sometimes I write these things like this is the only way, I know it is not so please feel free to challenge my rules and live by your own...man
Cheers
Tiny
PS unless you believe it is ever acceptable for an tomato based element to touch an egg based element of a breakfast, this should never never be allowed to happen.
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)