Burgers

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

Re: Burgers

Postby Kiska95 » 14 May 2015, 12:32

Hi

I try and keep 80/20 on my burgers and use some shin beef to up the ante but simple pepper and pre baste. I wouldn't use supermarket mince beef to feed the dog! Get your butcher to mince a cut of beef for you that you can see and buy from him and try different cuts. You see a lot of places use 80% VL for mince which in the trade is trimmed pieces of beef in a 5KG vac bag! You never know what's going to be in the bag until you open it hence the difference in quality and flavour.Thin is good but thicker if you want to choose a rare or medium burger. DO NOT squeeze the Pattie when its cooking to keep in the juice and hence more Flavour. In the US they butter the flat top before the Pattie goes on and also the brioche to toast and get a caramelisation (flavour) going. Try the same by basting with butter before it goes on the grill. Remember if the best steaks are Wagyu because of the Fat marbling then maybe increase the fat content a little to get more flavour.
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby PDC7 » 15 May 2015, 11:56

And so the burger debate rages on....

Really interesting to read everyone's idea's and opinions and see the feedback.

My preference is still 20% fat mince (read in a weber book that fatty meat is the best for burgers and I agree) but I recently received a "stuffz stuffed burger maker" which is fun to use and has me returning to this section for ideas.

Personally for me, I would not mince steak, then fry it and slap it in a bun, i'd rather just eat the steak...but that's just my preference.

I've recently been thinking of a beef / pork mixture possibly with a little added ginger and tiny pieces of pineapple, what do you guys think?
PDC7
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 15 May 2015, 13:02

I'm defo a 20% fat or more kinda guy. Makes a BIG difference in IMO.

As for the steak thing I'm not sure. I did set out to produce a gourmet luxury, burger, not a run of the mill thing.

I wouldn't use steak on its own again but you got to try these things!:) It did pain me to mash up a juicy ribeye. :cry: lol.

I think good quality chuck well trimmed and mixed with ribeye for fat is the way to go.

I defo think aged meat is even more important than anything else.

Having tried 28 day ribeye and tesco standard stuff there was no comparison.

Have done pork mix and I like it. As for fruit. Uurrgģhhh. :oops: lol.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 15 May 2015, 15:28

Costco sell minced steak - it is their standard mince. best tasting bought mince i've had! Morissons mince isn't bad either - but not as good as Costco. Rest of the supermarket mince is quite rubbish.

Of course, nothing beats mincing your own - all the best burger places around the world have their own little formula of cuts of meat, aging and fat content to make their signature burgers.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 15 May 2015, 15:39

Pineapple? you Sir are a deviant, and not in a good way, a burger needs fruit like a fish needs a bicycle.

I have done pork mince with ginger and thai 7 spice powder in the mix, it was nourishing and tasty but for me it wasn't a burger....I need beef, and chemical cheese.....

There seems to be a trend now for adding pulled pork to a burger, I don't consider this appropriate at all, I like a pint and I like playing cricket, but I wouldn't try doing the two things simultaneously, sequentially marvellous, but not at the same time.....

There has been recent controversy here in Portsmouth, a local health inspector has forbidden an artisan burger joint from serving their burgers medium or rare. Many are up in arms about this, I think it is splendid, a rare burger is like eating a beef related bogey and makes the baby Jesus cry.

Have a smashing weekend chums,
Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 15 May 2015, 18:10

Tiny wrote:Pineapple? you Sir are a deviant, and not in a good way, a burger needs fruit like a fish needs a bicycle.

I have done pork mince with ginger and thai 7 spice powder in the mix, it was nourishing and tasty but for me it wasn't a burger....I need beef, and chemical cheese.....

There seems to be a trend now for adding pulled pork to a burger, I don't consider this appropriate at all, I like a pint and I like playing cricket, but I wouldn't try doing the two things simultaneously, sequentially marvellous, but not at the same time.....

There has been recent controversy here in Portsmouth, a local health inspector has forbidden an artisan burger joint from serving their burgers medium or rare. Many are up in arms about this, I think it is splendid, a rare burger is like eating a beef related bogey and makes the baby Jesus cry.

Have a smashing weekend chums,
Cheers Tiny

:D LMAO you always come up trumps. That's what i wanted to say, just wasn't quite so eloquent. Lol.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby derekmiller » 16 May 2015, 08:34

Tiny. You cant beat a rare burger, best thing since Brioche buns.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kiska95 » 16 May 2015, 11:05

Hi Guys

And the debate continues on such a simple thing.........................

Lets get back to basics! What does everyone love about a good nice juicy prime steak? Tenderness & flavour end of! Ok so what's the best? Well we are told Wagyu as its well marbled so its got lots of FAT in it which tenderises and adds flavour as it cooks. How is it cooked? Hot and fast to taste you shout with gorgeous sear marks, lightly seasoned and finish the cooking with a Butter baste, simple.

OK so we are looking for meat that is generally going to be tender, higher fat content for added tenderness & flavour and Searing for more flavour. Right well mince the meat of choice (tender) with Fat (tenderness & Flavour) and sear on a hot grill (flavour town), lightly seasoned and basted with butter as you go. What's the difference in technique? Nowt!!! Just the meat. What meat? In the US they use Chuck but in the UK its either, Neck, Clod, shoulder or Blade.

You can use cheaper cuts of meat cos your mincing and that's not the way you walk! So its already tender and we not using up a good piece of steak (I Love steak). Up to you on the fat content (the right type of fat!) 20% 30% etc. and sear!!! Searing with a Very Hot grill (cast Iron preferred) produces the "Maillard effect" which caramelises the sugars and gives flavour, butter enhances that flavour too. Object of the exercise is KIS (keep it simple). Most of the best Burger places in the US do exactly that.

So why on earth would you want to adulterate the thing with cheese that smells like my missus's toes which is totally rank or stuff anything else inside unless the meat is crap to start with. Yeah add things on top for a bit of added excitement but leave the burger alone. Handle it as little as possible, not too thick so its burnt on the outside and sushi in the middle but not too thin either or it will end up like a Maccy D. Don't add salt to the mix as it draws out the juices just baste and lightly season before touchdown.

Here endeth the lesson!! Lol! :)
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby slemps » 20 May 2015, 08:24

Before I start, let me just say, I love steak, I really do. There has to be a pretty special reason to push a good steak through a mincer. I think a top end burger is that reason.

If you think about what you're actually doing, you're using something like 1kg of rib-eye as part of the flavour profile of 3 kgs (ish) of finished burger meat with the rest being made up of cheap cuts.

Now if you asked me whether I'd prefer one perfectly cooked rib eye steak, or one perfectly cooked (top end) burger, I'd probably choose the steak, but change that to one steak or three burgers (maybe not in one sitting!).... now I'm not so sure!

A while ago I came across this which I found really interesting:

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/200 ... -beef.html

I tried a blend of rib-eye, chuck and short-rib and it was pretty good. Not amazing but by far the best burger I'd made myself.

I think the next attempt will swap short rib for brisket and I was considering cold smoking the brisket first because, well I can!

The important thing is, I'm having fun trying different stuff and eating pretty well too. The burger revolution hasn't reached where I live yet so good burgers are few and far between. If I can cook them in my garden, winner.

S.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 22 May 2015, 19:13

Yes, I saw something that mentioned short rib and brisket. Keep meaning to try it. Just wondering if the brisket might be too lean.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)