Direct Grilling on a Pro Q Frontier

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

Direct Grilling on a Pro Q Frontier

Postby DougSmith80 » 16 May 2014, 08:01

Hello,

New here.

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer.

I would like to step up my BBQ game a bit as I am moving to a new house which actually has a garden meaning I can cook outside again.

I am thinking of buying a ProQ Frontier but I have a question.

How do you do upright direct grilling? Do you put the coals all the way at the bottom and use the top grill for grilling? Or do you raise the coal tray to rest it on the grill below?

I would like something that will offer me the option of direct and indirect smoking.

Thanks.

Doug
DougSmith80
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Direct Grilling on a Pro Q Frontier

Postby Pooky » 16 May 2014, 12:24

Hi Doug,

To grill on the Frontier, you would just keep the fire basket in the base, as normal, and the grill will fit on the holders directly above - Easy to do and have done it on my Excel many times. The only issue is that it will be low to the ground - For waist height grilling, you'd need a Weber OT or similar.

If you're after a Frontier, check out the member sales section - Someone's posted one for sale today.
Pooky
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby andytraill » 01 Jul 2014, 18:11

It's probably not advised but hypothetically you could put the base on top of the stackers. Though it's not designed to do that and a knock might send it (and hot coals) tumbling... but you hypothetically could if you really didn't like the height.

The normal way is fine but it really is pretty low. Then another way is to just use the stackers as normal(ish).

http://www.macsbbq.com/guides/setting-up-to-grill

If using without the stackers another thing is not to load it with started coals then put the lid on. It can go crazy, crazy hot.
andytraill
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 01 Jul 2014, 18:34

A safer option is to put it on a table and keep an eye on the underneath so it doesn't get too hot, if it is a problem put a paving slab between them next time.
JEC

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)