Crackling

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

Re: Crackling

Postby JamsCowbell » 29 Apr 2014, 08:30

I tend to score the shoulder every cm, then cut through deeper in the middle and pull the skin out to the sides while cutting through the fat underneath with a sharp knife, I am using kai shun knives though so they cut through it all like butter.

Then I season with salt and pepper and wrap in foil and stab a few holes in it, the package goes in the smoker towards the end of the cook for a few hours. When you open it up it's like a firm but jelly like sheet. Then I take the foil off and stick it in the oven on 200 until it's crisped up - mouth wateringly melty crackling... and I never really liked crackling!
JamsCowbell
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Crackling

Postby Scantily » 03 May 2014, 21:27

Big fan of crackling here, it's like crack cocaine and I can't get enough. My essential rules for perfect cracking:
1 - Score the fat trying to avoid cutting into the meat, pork skin is tough for any kitchen knife, I've found a Stanley knife or equivalent is best.
2 - Pour some boiling water over the skin, this will pull it taught and open up the cuts.
3 - Pat whole piece down with kitchen roll, grind a generous amount of rock salt over the fat and work into the cuts.
4 - Store on a rack uncovered in your fridge for 1-2 days, it requires some pre planning but really does make a difference and dries the skin out nicely.

If you don't have time to dry out the belly in the fridge then try a hair drier! Great for quickly drying out the surface of the fat.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)