Garlic bread, rib eye and fillet

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

Garlic bread, rib eye and fillet

Postby FlashGordon » 02 Jun 2012, 20:38

So tonight for a change from low n slow I fancied some steak and the garlic bread I had seen from primal grill.
I set up the pro q like it was going to be indirect cooking. I made the garlic bread like Steve R. Butter, garlic, fresh Parsely, and the best parma ham I've tasted from booths, s&p, didnt bother with parmasan, i think that should be reseved for other things. I spread it on some fresh bread cut in half.
For the steak I used the reverse sear method, which was why I set up for indirect cooking.
I'd previously (about 1.5 hrs) salted the steaks which I read in an article I'd seen posted on here.
I then Put the bread, and the steaks on the grill away from the coals, and cooked the steak till it got to 140 before I finished quickly on the grill. I'd put a bit of pecan on the coals as well to boost the flavor.
While the steaks where resting I moved the bread over the heat to make it golden.
Served it with simple home made red cabbage coleslaw and some bananna chilis stuffed with cream cheese id also grilled.
All in all fantastic. The garlic bread cooked with the wood tasted amazing, the steak salted was great, really tender.
I'll definitely be doing it again. Only have pics of cooking. Sadly I ate it before I took some more photos.
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Garlic bread, rib eye and fillet

Postby FlashGordon » 02 Jun 2012, 21:29

cooking time
Attachments
Image.jpg
cooking
Image.jpg (11.89 KiB) Viewed 10043 times
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 03 Jun 2012, 17:04

Can't blame you, if the results are great it's a lot of wilpower to pick up the camera rather than the cutlery :D
keith157

Postby FlashGordon » 03 Jun 2012, 22:45

The greedy excitement takes over!
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby thebarbecuemaster » 10 Jun 2012, 23:08

Do you find a salty taste by using salt as you mentioned above? I just use a generic rub with pepper chili powder,brown sugar onion powder it comes out good.
thebarbecuemaster
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby FlashGordon » 11 Jun 2012, 13:55

Its probably personal taste but i would never put anything other than salt n pepper on a steak. It was the first time i have tried the salting way before cooking and i just wanted to try it. It seemed to taste great, whether that was a combination of the reverse sear, or it just being a really good cut of meat i dont actually know.
The previous night i had eaten a 20oz t-bone in a local pub, and mine absolitely blew it away on taste and texture, but i think it was probably due to the cut.
I would like the money, and time to make up a mixture of salted a few hours before, and some salted just before to get an idea.
Making me hungry thinking about it actually.
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 11 Jun 2012, 14:35

The third option is cooking it with salt on as a crust, don't fancy the idea much but on TV the steak looked okay
keith157

Postby FlashGordon » 11 Jun 2012, 15:08

You mean like a salt baked fish? Ive not got the courage to do that i dont think. It does look really good though on TV.
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 11 Jun 2012, 18:43

According to Primal Grill you dump handfuls of salt on the raw side, when the cooked side is done, flip it over dump more salt on the cooked side. Then when cooked to your taste shake the remaining salt off?
keith157

Postby Tiny » 17 Jun 2012, 18:39

I am very new to lo and slow, but when it comes to hot cooking steak......would never apply salt in its raw state it has to draw moisture out of the beast, only time I could see a case for this is if you had a really cheap under aged supermarket steak but then again I would apply something to try and bring flavour to the poor wretched thing.

For me its room temp, grill at a temperature where your significant other expresses deep concern, and then its on with the fibre screaming, a minute or 2 flip and season repeat and then give a good rest. deadly simple I know but it seems to work,

another variant that seems to work is above but with a massive glass of shiraz in your hand.....

Garlic bread idea sounds fantastic will be giving that a go when my new grill arrives on weds.........
Cheers
Tiny
8\
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)