First time using a smoker.....wow!

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: First time using a smoker.....wow!

Postby Chris__M » 17 May 2011, 16:59

I don't think the situation is unique to Jackie. As I understand it, the 4 distributors I have heard of from 220-240V countries (UK, Germany, Australia, New Zealand) all supply grills with 220-240V components throughout.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby crphillips » 17 May 2011, 18:16

In the few conversations i've had with ABC they've been extremely helpful and very nice to deal with. I'd highly recommend them to anyone!
crphillips
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 17 May 2011, 18:42

I think you will find that of Jackie, she is the type of person that will point you in the right direction if she knows someone that can help.

She will be a sad loss to the UK BBQ scene when she makes the move.
All Weather Griller

Postby crphillips » 17 May 2011, 20:49

Yeah it's Nick i've been dealing with. A part was missing when it arrived and they shipped it UPS next day! Great customer service!

I realised ABC were coming to an end as dealers for Traeger and it didn't worry me really as the grill was cheap enough and i'm pretty handy with a spanner.

I'm amazed pellet grills are not more popular in the UK though. It seems a great idea. I've only used it once but i'm hooked already. Keep looking in the fridge for things i can smoke! You get the controllability of gas, cleanliness of gas (nearly) and the taste of wood.....perfect. I suppose it's because most folk in the UK see BBQ as an event only for a sunny day with burgers, sausages and kebabs. It's not seen (by the masses) as a serious way of cooking which is a shame.

Are they big in the US or are pellet grills till a small percentage of the BBQ market?
crphillips
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby British BBQ Society » 18 May 2011, 06:22

The biggest problem in the UK has been 1. a high fluctuating price point, 2. lack of promotion 3. very high pellet cost. This is not just the American BBQ Company, Grakka for example have the distributor rights for Louisiana grills, but I have not seen any promotion on them. i am sure they are good, but until i get my hands on one to play with, its not something i would promote.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 18 May 2011, 08:55

http://www.gardengiftshop.co.uk/ seems to push the Louisiana smokers quite heavily. The fact that they have even the most expensive models "In stock for immediate despatch" suggests that they shift them.

Prices are much higher than many of us have paid for our Traegers, but I think that is an indicative of these being manufactured outside the UK, and shipped in. It also underlines what a great deal we got from Jackie.

Interestingly, they have a couple of smokers with a double pellet feed, like someone was asking about earlier. Essentially, two pellet grills side by side, but with a removable partition between that can turn them into a massive two-feed grill.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)