First Pulled Pork on the Traeger

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: First Pulled Pork on the Traeger

Postby Vic. » 25 Apr 2011, 15:01

just wasn't sure what way you smoked it m8, more rub and kick next time should tickle your tastebuds ;)
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Steve » 25 Apr 2011, 15:14

Hope I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs here. But it's worth remembering a neck end is a big old hunk of pig, the rub will not penetrate too deeply. If your bark wasnt tasty enough then more rub is the answer but if it was the central meat that was a bit bland then an injection marinade will serve you better.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of pork shoulder unless I inject some flavour in there. I usually cook up a mixture of stock, fruit juice and rub then inject that.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dieselracer13 » 25 Apr 2011, 18:17

Steve wrote:Hope I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs here. But it's worth remembering a neck end is a big old hunk of pig, the rub will not penetrate too deeply. If your bark wasnt tasty enough then more rub is the answer but if it was the central meat that was a bit bland then an injection marinade will serve you better.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of pork shoulder unless I inject some flavour in there. I usually cook up a mixture of stock, fruit juice and rub then inject that.

Steve

Definitely no egg sucking, I know I need to get a marinade injector and that is my next purchase this week unfortunately I ran out of cash and time to get one before the Easter break, thankfully I get paid this week ;) I did try to simulate it by piecing the meat all over and spraying it down with apple juice :) just not sure if it worked. Your injection marinade sounds ok, any preference on the fruit juice?

Cheers, Mark
dieselracer13
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby dieselracer13 » 25 Apr 2011, 18:27

Vic. wrote:just wasn't sure what way you smoked it m8, more rub and kick next time should tickle your tastebuds ;)

Vic

I smoked unwrapped for 3½hrs then wrapped until completion; however on second thoughts your trays my may help to enhance the smoke with just a loose foil cover as the smoke will penetrate the bottom of the tray. Is that what you have found?

Thanks, Mark
dieselracer13
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 25 Apr 2011, 19:27

I do either apple juice or a 50/50 apple and cherry juice. I heat it up with a pork stock cube, some of my rub and a little extra sea salt and black pepper. Then I strain it through some muslin cloth and inject. Makes shoulder more enjoyable for me that's for sure.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dieselracer13 » 25 Apr 2011, 19:52

Steve wrote:I do either apple juice or a 50/50 apple and cherry juice. I heat it up with a pork stock cube, some of my rub and a little extra sea salt and black pepper. Then I strain it through some muslin cloth and inject. Makes shoulder more enjoyable for me that's for sure.

Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try next time.

Mark :)
dieselracer13
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)