The inside of my butt just won't heat up !

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

The inside of my butt just won't heat up !

Postby ped » 17 Apr 2011, 18:32

Hi All

At last had the chance to do my first cook of Pulled pork but the internal temp of the meat will just not go above 157c, it is a 4lb Neck end joint without the bone (Booker special offer but didn't know there was no bone!!), have been cooking since 10am this morning, question: is it safe to eat now even though it hasn't reached the optimum of 190c, or will I be killing my family if we go ahead now even if it doesn't pull very well?, family intend to eat me if I don't feed them soon :D

Ped
ped
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: The inside of my butt just won't heat up !

Postby Vic. » 17 Apr 2011, 18:58

ped wrote: Hi All

At last had the chance to do my first cook of Pulled pork but the internal temp of the meat will just not go above 157c, it is a 4lb Neck end joint without the bone (Booker special offer but didn't know there was no bone!!), have been cooking since 10am this morning,

If the bone had been in it would have taken longer. Something wrong with you hitting temps

ped wrote:question: is it safe to eat now even though it hasn't reached the optimum of 190c, or will I be killing my family if we go ahead now even if it doesn't pull very well?, family intend to eat me if I don't feed them soon :D

Ped

Pork is ready at 160, I think. put more heat into the cooker. The fatty sinues in the meat will be a bit tuff at 160 though.
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby British BBQ Society » 17 Apr 2011, 19:31

Hi Ped,

leave it on!!! it is normal for the pork to stall between 150 - 165, you dont want to take it off until it hits 180+

FDA safe temp is 160 so anything less would be dodgy.

If you are using a water bowl, wrap the pork in foil and take out the water pan which will increase the smoker temp.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 17 Apr 2011, 20:43

Yep, a stall. Toby's nailed it. I don't think I have ever noticed a pattern in butt sizes and stall periods. All I know is time is the key.

When they come out of the stall they rise pretty efficiently.
All Weather Griller

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 17 Apr 2011, 21:25

To help it through the "stall" phase quicker, wrap it in foil.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby clairbare » 18 Apr 2011, 09:30

How did your butt turn out? :D
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby dieselracer13 » 18 Apr 2011, 09:53

ped wrote:Hi All

At last had the chance to do my first cook of Pulled pork but the internal temp of the meat will just not go above 157c, it is a 4lb Neck end joint without the bone (Booker special offer but didn't know there was no bone!!), have been cooking since 10am this morning, question: is it safe to eat now even though it hasn't reached the optimum of 190c, or will I be killing my family if we go ahead now even if it doesn't pull very well?, family intend to eat me if I don't feed them soon :D

Ped

Hi Guys

Just spotted this post but noticed the temperatures listed at 157c, should that read 157f only asking as I'm looking to do a Butt this weekend if I can find one but I certainly don't want to be killing anyone as it's the first time cooking a Butt?

Regards

Mark :?
dieselracer13
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vic. » 18 Apr 2011, 10:08

good spot Mark. If its Celcius I'd say its well cooked by now :D
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby MrBlue » 18 Apr 2011, 16:15

Perhaps his family kept to their promise and ate him! :D
MrBlue
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ped » 18 Apr 2011, 17:55

Yo guys, I'm alive :D , neither the bacteria nor the family got me :P , and yes, if it had been at 157c I may well have been eating carbon which is very good for diarrhea so they say :lol:

Just couldn't wait any longer so got the butt out and let it recover in some foil for while, in the mean time we had some ribs that I had put my own Kansas city rub on (it's got a bit of a kick !!), family opinion....I have to make some more ribs very soon :) , then down to the butt, though it didn't pull it cut beautifully had a really deep smoke ring and was really succulent and went down a treat with the homemade soft rolls, homemade slaw and home grown salad stuff, oh and my son made a fantastic banoffee pie to wash it down with.

All in all a great success for my first smoke, and do you know what?, I think I might do it again in the near future :D

p.s. thanks for the advice on the stall period and the foil trick
ped
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)