First Injections

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: First Injections

Postby clairbare » 15 Apr 2011, 23:26

Well for some reason the lumpwood has decided to take a long time to light!! So finally we are up and running, waiting for temps to peak then on with the meat.

Finally remembered how to set the alarm on the Mav - we only used it once and had to rely on YouTube to help me work it out :D
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby clairbare » 15 Apr 2011, 23:53

Pork on, Brisket on - Goodnight :)
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Steve » 16 Apr 2011, 08:32

How's it going guys?

Did you get much sleep? Cookers hold well for you?
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby clairbare » 16 Apr 2011, 09:34

Hey Steve,

We are a bit useless at the night cook lol we think the alarm went off early hours (well I heard nothing and Lee is not sure whether he reached out to knock the alarm on the Mav off! one too many beers while preparing maybe) when we woke up at 8am :oops: the temps were sitting at 260 so I jumped out of bed a came down to take the lid off and release some heat

The meat looks ok but we are worried it was cooking a bit too fast - we have now foiled it and the temps on the pro-q are sitting around 235 now which is still a bit too high but we have just added some water to our pan to try and bring it down a bit.

We are using 2 bricks in the water pan like Toby did in the cook class so wonder if that has anything to do with it? We stacked the basket with lumpwood before lighting it last night and have only just had to replinish it in the last hour.

Brisket is showing an internal temp of 194 and the pork sitting at 176 at the moment.

Now we are preparing the ribs, chicken and a fatty or 2 - wow a meat feast I should say :D let's hope it all tastes good
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Steve » 16 Apr 2011, 20:13

Those temps shouldn't cause a problem, you may find that the meat needs to run to a higher temp if it cooked at a higher temp for any period of time.

You'll soon get used to night cooks. I wish I could sleep through to 8am when I'm doing one. :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mcdodge » 17 Apr 2011, 07:47

They obviously died from food poisoning...
mcdodge
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 17 Apr 2011, 08:23

Lol
All Weather Griller

Postby clairbare » 17 Apr 2011, 21:08

LOVFL :lol: - no, we are still alive :D

Things went as follows:

Brisket
It came off, looked good and was foiled (yes, we're foilers) and sat in the Igloo for an hour having been in smoker for 12 hours - VERY tender - VERY tasty - but equally very dry! We reckon it was not foiled soon enough.

Ribs
Well these were IMHO good for competition, good bite I mean but don't know why, just a bit wrong - so wrong in tenderness, but tasted good - need a rethink on these

Fattie

This was the day we (Lee) created the FRANKENFATTIE - this was 2 hotdogs, wrapped in SAURKRAUT, then covered with curry wurst sauce - wrapped in sausage and bacon, then smoked for 3 hours - got a lot of new friends with this one!!

Chicken Thighs

Tender , juicy and full of flavour...................nothing else to say really! Although as usual we struggle to get crispy skin!

Pork
Yum - f@*ck-ing-ee, we hit it big time on this,(well the best we have done so far) a favourite with neighbours and family too - the overnight cook was well worth it just for this

All in all, a good smoke - some bits not happy with, but just looking to improve for comp in May!

Pics to follow tomorrow..............
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby All Weather Griller » 17 Apr 2011, 21:21

Great after match report Clair.

You are not alone when you find things you're not happy with. In my experience with this style of cooking we tend to be our own biggest critics. Glad it panned out for you. Looking forward to the pics.
All Weather Griller

Postby MrBlue » 18 Apr 2011, 13:12

The best bit for me was when I removed the foil from the Pork, I lifted the shoulder up and the bone fell out :shock: This was the BEST pork I have ever had in my life...............simply AWESOME! :lol:
MrBlue
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)