ProQ Excel 20 - Runs rather cool?

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

ProQ Excel 20 - Runs rather cool?

Postby jonewer » 31 May 2016, 15:19

Have been running my Excel 20 using the minion method and each time it has tended to run fairly cool. It won't go over 225F even with all the vents fully open using either briquettes or lump. Not a big problem really except it tends to get through a full load of fuel very quickly, needing a top-up at around the 6 hour mark.

So I tried to do a snake method and though the snake burnt really well, temps really never exceeded 150F despite having the vents fully open since lighting.

Question - am I doing something wrong here or is this a common experience with the Excel 20?

I was thinking its maybe just the vast amount of water in the water pan that sucks up all the heat?

Thanks!
jonewer
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: ProQ Excel 20 - Runs rather cool?

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 31 May 2016, 15:32

I use a clay saucer in water pan. However, once water is up to heat you should be able to get up higher than 225f I would have thought even with vents half closed.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 31 May 2016, 17:49

I would think the snake is not really enough for a unit that size. It is quite cold still at the mo too so the fire will be hungry.

I would say pour boiling water in the pan, cold can really sap heat otherwise.

Also, is the temp coming up and overshooting? If so control the dampers sooner as overshoot is just wasted coals.

Sure you will sort it.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby jonewer » 01 Jun 2016, 08:04

Also, is the temp coming up and overshooting

No, it didn't overshoot - just never moved much past 150F, hence I never closed the vents down at all.

I might try and go 'dry' with the next one as I reckon that much water just absorbs too much energy.
jonewer
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Jun 2016, 13:58

I would think that's a good idea. If nothing else just to test the idea. Then you can add boiling water next time.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)