smoke that bird

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

smoke that bird

Postby Smartie » 06 Feb 2011, 21:50

Well. I have now smoked five times now and at long last I think I have sorted out time, temp, charcoal and smoke. He says with a rye smile. :) .todays efforts produced good results, a jerk bird, :D a bird with my rub on :D and a shop rub.. :shock: The meat was very moist and was taken off at 170..I did spray with apple juice to glaze and keep moist and must say it seemed to work. I took some of each bird round to next door and they all said the home rub was the best, and meat was very moist. So what next…pork butt.. :lol:
Smartie
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: smoke that bird

Postby All Weather Griller » 07 Feb 2011, 07:40

Sounds good, did you get any pics?

I would go for either Ribs or Shoulder if you're thinking Pork. Although if you do look for an alternative to cooking a big brisket but want a similar taste profile Beef Short Ribs are very good.
All Weather Griller

Postby LM600 » 14 Feb 2011, 20:45

Plus One for the pork shoulder!

I know it's not mega local to you - depending on which side of Bedford you're on but the butchers Palmers in Bletchley do some good whole pork shoulders....last year an 8kg one cost me about £15.

They also do boxes of ribs....I think these worked out at about £12 for 6 racks (on special from memory)

Jeez, they should pay me for all this free advertising!!!
LM600

Postby Steve » 14 Feb 2011, 21:04

You want to discuss sponsorship with them :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby LM600 » 18 Feb 2011, 21:37

I think I just might! :lol:
LM600

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)