Hand of pork

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Hand of pork

Postby Flying_Vee » 27 May 2016, 21:49

Evening

After a few adventures with a pro q Frontier I've returned with a query.

A while back I got an awesome deal on a friend of a friend's pigs and promptly filled my freezer with quarter of a beast. The slaughter house sent everything back in modest sized joints, and they didn't send me the head I begged for, sob. Anyway, I've taken out and dry salted a 2.5kg hand joint this evening ready to go on tomorrow morning in time for dinner Saturday.

My question is, being a small piece with a lot of bone am I better wrapping and spritzing this after the first 4 hours or so to avoid it drying out. I'd like to leave unwrapped if possible. I feel like I'm doing the bark a disservice by wrapping but have done so with all my previous cooks which went well I'm not sure about rocking the boat and leaving it unwrapped.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Flying_Vee
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Hand of pork

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 28 May 2016, 09:36

How much fat in the meat. If plenty running through then not wrapping should be fine I would have thought
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Flying_Vee » 31 May 2016, 07:44

BraaiMeesterWannabe wrote:How much fat in the meat. If plenty running through then not wrapping should be fine I would have thought

Only just seen this.

Thanks for the reply.

It wasnt the that fatty but I ended up leaving it unwrapped.

On balance it wasn't the best piece for this approach so learnt something there. Good flavour and exterior and while it was tender I think there was some dryness particularly down the hock end which came out like burnt ends which wasn't a bad thing.

Had a chicken on as well which was lovely.

As this is my fourth larger cook I think I'm going to start running a slightly higher temp. Tend to keep around 200-220F and after being given the Franklin bbq book for chrimbo going to try 250-275F for a few the next.
Flying_Vee
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 31 May 2016, 12:56

Flying_Vee wrote:As this is my fourth larger cook I think I'm going to start running a slightly higher temp. Tend to keep around 200-220F and after being given the Franklin bbq book for chrimbo going to try 250-275F for a few the next.

Yes, I tend to cook closer to 250f these days on long cooks.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)