Minion method questions

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Minion method questions

Postby Kickback » 26 May 2016, 12:27

Hi,

I'm hoping to do my first pork butt on a Webber smokey mountain this weekend and could use some advice....

The butt will be about 4 or 5 kg so it will be a long cook. How much charcoal do I load into the smokey mountain (it's the 22 inch one)? As much as I can fit? I'll be using heat beads and was planning to put in a 4 kg bag. Can having too much cause a problem?

If it runs out do I take off the top to load more or try and load through the door?

I'm planning on using the minion method as worried a snake might break. There seems to be differing advice as to whether to dig a hole for the lit coals in the middle of the unlit or to scatter all over the top. Has anyone had experience of either of these methods actually not working properly or is it just a matter of taste?

Finally should I put on a whole chimney of lit coals or a smaller amount to conserve fuel?

Thanks in advance. This is my first time doing a pork butt and using a smokey mountain so want to try and minimise the mistakes I'm sure to make!

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Minion method questions

Postby essexsmoker » 27 May 2016, 20:36

So long as the chunks are big and it won't suffocate the fire then fill it up. Bury you're wood chunks in with the coals too.
I've done both amd prefer just filling the centre.

I'd think half a chimney.

I'm sure amazing ribs had a whole page on using the WSM.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Minion method questions

Postby Kickback » 27 May 2016, 22:54

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)