Ribs and Wings Sunday!

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Ribs and Wings Sunday!

Postby mcdodge » 24 Jan 2011, 07:49

One of my all time favourite dishes is hot wings with bleu cheese sauce... Add some ribs in you've got yourself a meal!

One of the butchers close to us had some really nice, meaty back ribs in so I got 3 racks - £5.88 for these

Anyways, I rubbed the ribs in some Cimarron Doc rib rub that Adie sent me

Put them on at 12:50. Used a small chunk of oak and 2 small chunks of apple for smoke. The WSM stayed at 230-240 for pretty much the entire cook.

As the ribs were cooking I prepped the wings and made the bleu cheese dip and those went on at about 3pm.

I sauced the ribs at 4:10 with JD Sauce mixed with some maple syrup I had, and put them back on the smoker for 25 mins.

And I'm afraid there are no more pics. There was far too much going on in the kitchen and before I'd finished off outside the wife had already cut the ribs up.

After taking off the wings, I splashed them in a bowl of Franks Red Hot with a little bit of margarine mixed in. These were really tasty and flavourful with the sauce and smoke, although the skin could have been crispier!

The ribs were perfect, IMO. They looked great, a real nice red/brown shine. Meat wasn't quite falling off the bone, but wheres the fun in that? The sauce had become really nice and sticky with a really sweet BBQ flavour. And the the quality of the meat on the ribs really shone through, I was a little piggy and ate 2 of the racks all by myself. I will genuinely say, and mean it, that these were the best ribs I have ever had in my life. And I've had a fair few ribs...

The 3rd rack of ribs went to my mothers, and she couldn't believe I had made them due to them looking so good. She too was impressed with the flavour, and smokiness of them.

I love this way of cooking! I know I'm probably not up there with some of you guys yet, but just wait :twisted:
mcdodge
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Ribs and Wings Sunday!

Postby Steve » 24 Jan 2011, 07:55

They look great mate. If they were good enough to eat two racks of them they must have been.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mcdodge » 24 Jan 2011, 09:32

I think my next step is trying to source some exceptional sauces (good pun?). So far I've only used general off the shelf, UK ones...

Any suggestions to try and take my ribs to the next level?
mcdodge
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 24 Jan 2011, 10:32

I like Bone Suckin Sauce, Blues Hog, Cimarron Docs do a nice sauce and I have some Pork Barrel Coming over soon.
All Weather Griller

Postby joker smoker » 24 Jan 2011, 10:49

I'd love to find baby backs of that quality in the UK...They look freakin' handsome... :mrgreen:
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby mcdodge » 24 Jan 2011, 11:44

That was from a butchers in Fleetwood, just north of Blackpool!
mcdodge
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 24 Jan 2011, 18:15

I really like the Bone Sucki'sauce, too. My favorite is Head Country sauce. Can you get it in the UK?

http://www.headcountry.com/
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)