Pulled pork with supermarket joint

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Pulled pork with supermarket joint

Postby Altissimus » 07 May 2016, 20:56

Hi guys,

Running a small barbecue tomorrow for a small group (6 of us) and thought I'd try a pulled pork. However, with zero planning the best I could get was a "large boneless pork shoulder" from Sainsburys, no bone, and it's basically a rolled joint. Cutting the string and unrolling (as it's air in the middle anyway), it's probably 1-2 inches thick at its thickest point.

Have injected it with a flavour I like (apple juice, maple syrup, cider vinegar) and rubbed it both sides with a variation on a carolina rub, rolled it back up and chucked it in the fridge to - as Flashheart would say - stew in its own juice.

Question is: how long to cook this for? Assuming a low (100 degrees C) heat, and given its thickness and no bone, what do you think?

Any difference between rolling/unrolling it?

Cheers!

A
Altissimus
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Pulled pork with supermarket joint

Postby Altissimus » 08 May 2016, 14:44

In lieu of other replies and in case anyone else reads this looking for the same answer, I worked to an hour per pound. Came out ok.
Altissimus
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 08 May 2016, 18:10

Hi chap

Bit late now but Tiny replied on the anything butt post. He recommended leaving it rolled and doing 1.5hrs per lb. for pulling you want to get the pork up to about 203 deg f internal.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Lord Grim » 12 May 2016, 14:49

I'll be doing this very thing this weekend, more because I've been having barbecue withdrawal for the last couple of weeks than for any other reason.
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Lord Grim » 15 May 2016, 19:51

Not to steal your thread, but I just wanted to add that I did the pork shoulder today, and Tiny's estimate wasnt bad.
It weighed exactly 2kg after trimming, so call that 5lb for ease of sums. It was on the Weber kettle for 9.5 hrs before I wrapped it and shoved it in the oven @280F until it hit 195.
But it did stall twice, once at 150F where I wrapped it and then again at 175F, at which point I unrolled it, rewrapped it and put it in the oven.
One thing I did do differently to the conventional wisdom of the Web was to cut the fatcap off almost in its entirety and roast it in the oven, meaning I had some awesome crackling to go in my sammitch.
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)