Weber Summit Charcoal Grill

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Weber Summit Charcoal Grill

Postby gavinbbq » 07 Apr 2016, 20:18

So after the news of the new Weber barbecue which is a brand new innovative design and with a pretty hefty price tag. What is everyone's thoughts on it and who will be purchasing it?

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_re ... coal-grill
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill

Postby aris » 08 Apr 2016, 06:42

Over priced
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 08 Apr 2016, 07:03

Well,
Personally I think the only innovation is the gas starter which I like. Otherwise it is a double skinned kettle, surprised there is no insulation material between the 2 skins, if they are looking to compete with the Komados then thought this would be essential. They make much of the 2 height searing station but from what I can work out you have to choose either a or b at the start, I have achieved the same effect by "piling the coals up".

I don't think this grill is aimed at the likes of us that frequent these forums, in the same way as the Summit gas grills they are aimed at the trendy London set that can stand around it in chinos and ralph Lauren polos "well, it was a couple of quid more than the standard, but the gas ignition thing takes the pfaff out, and you know Weber are the brand leaders"

So not a chance of me purchasing one, don't think I would be tempted at 1/3rd of the price, this one isn't about BBQ it is just "reassuringly expensive"

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 08 Apr 2016, 10:37

To me it is a clear attempt at breaking in to the 'high end' charcoal market that is currently only really occupied by Kamado users and people with custom made rigs that cost big cash. That's all well and good however I don't see in any way where the pricing has come from for this bbq. Ultimately it's a tin kamado and they already exist at a fraction of the price. Gas ignition, nice but not required. Air vent, same as my kamado. Adjustable charcoal grate, yep got one of those on my KJ. I also have a split level heat deflector and a life time guarantee and it cost me less money!

Madness
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Apr 2016, 10:39

How much is it. I couldn't find a price.

Not sure I'd be tempted. The gas ignition is nice but not that fussed to be honest.
As far as searing goes, just fill your chimney starter and chuck the grate on that. Ripping hot.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 08 Apr 2016, 11:36

The Summit is $1,699

The Summit Grill Centre $2,299

I expect you would replace $ with £ by the time it comes here.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JBBQ » 08 Apr 2016, 12:52

You could get a second hand Fast Eddy for that!
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 08 Apr 2016, 13:20

Considering the price of steel today - it is silly money. I'm sure someone will buy them though.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 08 Apr 2016, 14:00

They have confirmed on facebook page that the summit will be £1499.99p once it hits UK shops. It's totally bonkers and you would actually have to be mad to buy one IMO lol
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 08 Apr 2016, 15:42

Indeed - the largest GMG pellet grill - the Jim Bowie, with the stainless steel lid and wifi is £999.00 - delivered.

Someone will buy it though - as a fashion accessory if anything.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)