Newbie update

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Newbie update

Postby Bryan_80 » 31 Mar 2016, 19:12

Hi guys,

Around 6 months ago or so I asked for advice on buying a smoker/barbecue. In the end, I ended up going with a ProQ Frontier Elite. I just though I would give a wee update to how I'm getting on.

Obviously, the predictably unpredictable Scottish weather, and my general lack of time has stopped me from doing a great deal though :)

First up was a chicken. After successfully seasoning my smoker, I thought I'd test it out with a chicken. I wasn't really that bothered how it went, as it was only a test. I didn't even have a thermometer so there was a lot of guess work. Tasted great though!

Second was a pork shoulder. This ended up very poor. I had great difficulty in keeping the heat going - I have since started using heat beads, which made the world of difference - and I ended up taking the meat out and putting it in the oven as I had 7 hungry people waiting on pulled pork. We ended up eating at around 8pm, and the pork was dry and never quite got to the optimum temperature for pulling apart, but we I had no choice as we had to eat. If there was any consolation, it was the fact that there was a lovely smoke ring and the flavour was good.

Next up, we decided that for our boxing day meal, we would have a "turf and turf" meal. Steak cooked inside in the grill with ribs and a smaller chunk of pork in the smoker. My intention was to use the pork in a curry to be made at a later date. I had 3 racks of ribs, 2 back from ASDA, and 1 front rack from the my local butcher. I went for the 2-2-1 for the ASDA small racks, and 3-2-1 for the larger butcher rack. This cook was a bit of a nightmare from start to finish. It was freezing, windy, and poured with rain all day, so the smoker was in a small alcove by the garage which meant a short walk in the rain every time I wanted to check or tend to the food. It was horrendous trying to get coals lit to start with and again when I wanted to top up, and to make things even more difficult for me, It gets dark ridiculously early in the winter here and I couldn't see a thing in the alcove - I won't be doing it this way again!! Anyway, the ASDA ribs were passable, with a nice flavour and smoke ring, but the butcher ribs were pretty good. They weren't pull off the bone soft but had a slight tug, so I don't think I need a great deal of improvement here. I used "Memphis Dust" as my rub with some homemade bbq sauce.

And my most recent, and only real success so far was a couple of weeks ago. A large rack of beef ribs, with bacon wrapped sausages, Polish smoked sausages, and chicken wings, served with a side of mac'n'cheese. I used a salt, pepper, garlic, mustard and onion rub for the beef ribs, and "Memphis Dust" on the chicken with half the sausages getting that rub as well. Right from the start I managed to get a steady 225f temperature that lasted a good 2 hours before moving a little either way. I didn't wrap the ribs at all, even when they hit the stall for around an hours (they actually dropped a good 10-20f in the stall) before getting up to 203 internal when I took them off and wrapped them in the cool box for around 30 minutes or so. The ribs were in around 6 hours, with the sausages and chicken in for the last 2 hours. Though I admit I got a little impatient (and hungry) so raised the temp towards the end to around 255f. All in all, everything cooked was absolutely delicious. They were all moist, with a lovely smoke ring and lovely flavour, and we all ate a ton. I cooked way too much though!

My next project will be on Saturday - weather permitting - with the plan being to smoke barbecue beans, burgers, sausages, and maybe stuffed jalapeños. Seems like it won't be too hard, but you never know...

Now to try to upload a few photos!

Hmmm I've been trying to upload a few pics from photobucket but I keep getting the error message "Your images may only be up to 600 pixels wide" which is odd as I have resized them already. Not sure what I'm doing wrong so perhaps I will have another go at some point over the weekend. And sorry for such a long post! :shock:
Bryan_80
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Newbie update

Postby derekmiller » 01 Apr 2016, 08:01

Sounds good Bryan, learning is part of the fun.

This may help with the pics:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Apr 2016, 16:51

As Derek says learning is half the fun! Be a bit boring if there was no challenge to it.

The great thing is you haven't given up at the first hurdle and that will see you right in time!

Meat can be quite variable in fat and especially supermarket meat. Which can make things a little dry. Might pay to braise and smoke or wrap supermarket stuff in foil.

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it already though!

Keep smokin!
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Bryan_80 » 01 Apr 2016, 17:08

Definitely a challenge so far, but I'm slowly getting there.

I have decided not to bother with supermarket meat - unless it's crazy cheap - as the quality is night and day.

Bring on tomorrow for my next attempt :)
Bryan_80
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 02 Apr 2016, 19:30

Try Tom Hixon. They have some good stuff on there. Not used them myself yet but many have.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 09 Apr 2016, 09:45

Bryan_80 wrote: This cook was a bit of a nightmare from start to finish. It was freezing, windy, and poured with rain all day, so the smoker was in a small alcove by the garage which meant a short walk in the rain every time I wanted to check or tend to the food:

I have a wsm and like the pro Q it is not well insulated so cooking in cold winter conditions is a big challenge to get temp up to 225 to 250 f. I have used fire rope to seal where I can but best you can do is to keep it out of the wind and rain as much as poss. Keep vents more open than in warmer weather and don't use water in the pan.
Also, if you don't have one, get a maverick to monitor temp and sit inside. Avoid the temptation to check the food and only open the lid if it is time to do something. When opening get someone to hold lid up so hot air stays trapped in lid as much as poss, do what you gotta do and put lid back down asap....if you're lookin' you ain't cookin'!

My apologies if you already know all this ;)
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby ScottishSmoker » 19 Apr 2016, 10:36

Hi Bryan,
Thanks for the update. I am currently reading and watching many reviews on both ProQ and WSM as i'm planning to buy in next weeks. Building outdoor kitchen to part surround the BBQ and hopefully insulate it a wee bot from that same nasty scottish weather you speak of :lol:
Where in Scotland are you?

reg.
Bjorn
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Bryan_80 » 01 May 2016, 14:59

I stay in Edinburgh, but as its only a small flat that I live in I don't really have the chance to bbq much, so I keep my smoker at my parents' over the bridge in Fife. It's only a short drive for when I want to cook something... Which will be soon :)

This is a great forum for you to help with your decision on whatever you plan to buy, and ask questions as these guys all know their stuff.

Good luck Bjorn!
Bryan_80
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby myfault » 04 May 2016, 10:55

I have a ProQ frontier also. I used to have issues getting the heat up. I ended up buying a couple of large terracotta saucers from B&Q, wrapping them in foil and putting this in the water basin instead of water (foiling over the basin to reducing washing up). Now I keep the temp between 225 and 250 whether the weather is good or not. Vents are open usually by about a quarter max. Any more and it gets too hot. The terracotta saucers seem to act as a heat sink keeping the smoker at a fairly constant temp. The basket of lumpwood also lasts for about 7/8 hours this way.
myfault
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ScottishSmoker » 05 May 2016, 09:34

Bryan_80 wrote:I stay in Edinburgh, but as its only a small flat that I live in I don't really have the chance to bbq much, so I keep my smoker at my parents' over the bridge in Fife. It's only a short drive for when I want to cook something... Which will be soon :)

This is a great forum for you to help with your decision on whatever you plan to buy, and ask questions as these guys all know their stuff.

Good luck Bjorn!

Hey Bryan, I'm in Fife too. How did the stuffed jalapeños turn out?
I decided to make my barrel smoker which will hopefully be easy to keep to temperature due to no tiers or stacks or doors, and then a simple grill in the brick outdoor kitchen.
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)