GMG DB

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: GMG DB

Postby GingerBen » 06 Apr 2016, 13:32

essexsmoker wrote:1 thing though, I have an extra plate with holes in apart from the drip plate. Where on earth does this go?

It's probably part of the drip pan, the one on my DC is in two bits that sit one on top of the other. They both have holes in iirc to allow you to "sear" with the holes open or smoke with them closed - although the reality is you can't sear properly with one.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 06 Apr 2016, 13:35

Oh, so does the plate with the curved edge that goes to the drip trough go on top or underneath? Booklet shows old mild steel design.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 06 Apr 2016, 13:39

I've finally found the answer. I did try it out how you're supposed to fit it but it seemed a bit naff so thought I must be wrong.lol.

Thanks for the help.[THUMBS UP SIGN]
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 06 Apr 2016, 16:17

For anyone interested, Argos are selling an enormous bbq cover for 16.99. It easily fits over the DB, nearly to the floor!

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product ... +cover.htm

I have a similar thing on my Weber OTP and it's been pretty good for the money. I have a GMG one too but Tiny said that the seams leak a bit so figure this is pretty cheap and should help.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gavinbbq » 06 Apr 2016, 20:32

Hi essexsmoker, looking forward to hearing/seeing what the pellet smoker churns out.
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 07 Apr 2016, 15:39

Essex,
Welcome to team DB, the drip tray is a little complex "what it just sits on top?" Yep it does, and a top tip, foil it, foil it, foil it" as it is an big beasty to fit in the dishwasher, and evidently leaving it to soak in the bath isn't the right thing to do either, I am told, so suggest peel off foliage is the best way.

Also you might want to minimise your carb intake as I found that 4-6 BBQs a week came as standard in the first 3 months........

did a rolled rib of beef on mine on Sunday and I think the temp is a bitt cooler than the readout as took longer than expected, but was fekkin lovely.......

Enjoy,
Tiny
PS expecting delivery of Hickory, oak and fruitwood blend from Cookshack today will let you know how they go......
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 07 Apr 2016, 19:10

Hi Gavin. I hope to share my exploits. But might be a little while before anything decent comes off it while I learn.

Thanks Tiny. The DB is the DBs! Just updated the firmware to 6 , so should be bang up to date.

I already have a large roll of foil ready! 500mm wide by 90m long!

Jesus Christ, not sure I'll be bbqing quite that much. Lol.

Still need to calibrate the grates and get a feel for it but looking forward to it!

Is that pellets from cookshack? The ones they were trying to make?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 08 Apr 2016, 07:28

Essex, don't rule it out, "oh I shall just throw a couple of Sausages on there" "well we have been having a fair amount of meat, lets have a salmon dish......oh! I could do that on the smoker" and so on.

Sadly the UK lads are having limited success with there pellet endeavour, the ones I have bought are from Fast Eddies cookshack, the people who make the FEC cookers......

So of course now I need to do at least 3 BBQs to test each type!
Cheers
Ian
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Apr 2016, 10:26

Tiny wrote:Essex, don't rule it out, "oh I shall just throw a couple of Sausages on there" "well we have been having a fair amount of meat, lets have a salmon dish......oh! I could do that on the smoker" and so on.

Sadly the UK lads are having limited success with there pellet endeavour, the ones I have bought are from Fast Eddies cookshack, the people who make the FEC cookers......

So of course now I need to do at least 3 BBQs to test each type!
Cheers
Ian

Lol. I HAVE to rule it out with my burgeoning waistline. Lol.
But I know what you mean! Lol.

Although fish isn't a sin really. Just got to watch the 30% fat burgers and ribs, and fatties, and ABTs, and.... lol.

Oh, OK. Thought it seemed a bit soon after their last 'struggling a bit' post.

Be good to hear how you get on.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Apr 2016, 17:25

Just noticed that there is a temp adjustment on the app, so that you can calibrate with a maverick and then change the app display. I assume it doesn't actually reconfigure the grill?

Very handy either way. I noticed a few people saying about temp being out so that is handy.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)