GMG DB

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

GMG DB

Postby essexsmoker » 18 Mar 2016, 17:25

Just rang ABBQ and it turns out they aren't selling the non wifi DB anymore, so that has stuffed me for getting one anytime soon.

I am gutted. :cry:

I don't even need or want wifi.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: GMG DB

Postby Tiny » 19 Mar 2016, 09:23

Not sure I understand old lad, The Wifi comes as standard now but you don't have to use it if you don't want to, there are handy buttons on the front.....Like all cars come with SatNav now but if you prefer to use the AA road map you still can.....The DB is splendid I would buy one if I were you....in fact I did,
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby dancing james » 20 Mar 2016, 15:16

Totally agree with Tiny

I only recently bought a GMG DB and have not even got round to setting up the wifi as it works so well just as it is, and my wifi struggles to get out into my garden!

A great piece of kit, my other half is not a fan of heavily smoked food, but likes low and slow cooking and the DB does this perfectly.
dancing james
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JBBQ » 21 Mar 2016, 09:57

You could buy my non-wifi controller for it and try and sell your wifi controller to someone who wants to upgrade ;)
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 21 Mar 2016, 18:42

Tiny wrote:Not sure I understand old lad, The Wifi comes as standard now but you don't have to use it if you don't want to, there are handy buttons on the front.....Like all cars come with SatNav now but if you prefer to use the AA road map you still can.....The DB is splendid I would buy one if I were you....in fact I did,
Cheers
Tiny

Hi Tiny, they used to do a non wifi DB for £567 or so. Now I have to pay £130 for wifi I don't want. Apart from that I don't have the extra.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 21 Mar 2016, 18:44

dancing james wrote:Totally agree with Tiny

I only recently bought a GMG DB and have not even got round to setting up the wifi as it works so well just as it is, and my wifi struggles to get out into my garden!

A great piece of kit, my other half is not a fan of heavily smoked food, but likes low and slow cooking and the DB does this perfectly.

As you say you've not even used it and it's cost you another £130.

Just don't understand why they have stopped selling the non wifi.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 21 Mar 2016, 21:35

Well it depends how you look at it old lad, at the time I purchased mine I payed the non wifi price and they gave me the Wifi unit because I am an blindey and this was very decent of them. But I payed the price they are charging now for the Wifi units, they used to charge that price plus another £130 for the Wifi kit. For a brief period they discounted the non wifi units by £130 to get rid of them as they were in car dealer terms "last seasons model" so your chances of getting any DB for the price you call out was a narrow window as they offloaded the obsolete stock, I guess it is the equivalent of the weber kettle in my garden purchased for £49 in an October stock clearance

£130 is a chung of money indeed but it really is only 3 BBQs using quality charcoal and meat so I would gurd your loins, forget the lucky window you didn't climb through and bite the deliciously meaty smoke roasted bullet and join us.

Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 25 Mar 2016, 20:11

Blank
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 25 Mar 2016, 20:11

Lol.

Ahh, I had no idea they were old stock. It just said on the website that they are currently out of stock and to stick your email in to be notified when they come back in.

So was the non wifi originally 699?

Bummer. It was such a tasty window. Lol.

I probably will bite the bullet and get one, I just have to save up the extra. Shouldn't be too long.

Anyone got their cover for it? Is it worth 60 quid? Might try and find a cheaper version in argos or something.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 26 Mar 2016, 08:17

Essex,
Indeed it was that price. As for the cover it is very heavy duty and fits the BBQ like a glove, but mine leaks along a seam so have to put a bin bag underneath to stop water entering the body of the beast, so I am not wildly impressed if you can find an alternative I would go with this. I also forked out for the extra shelf and this was a waste of my hard earned, It does what it says on the tin but I rarely use it.

Also when buying pellets providing you honour the multiplier you can mix and match, so the GMG pellets come 2 bags in a box, I bought 2 each of Gold, fruitwood and texas blend, but you could if you wanted put 1 bag of gold and one of fruitwood in the same box. Similarly with the lumberjack single wood these come in a box of 3 bags so when I ordered I mixed cherry mesquite and oak.

If you are running on charcoal regularly you will make the £130 back in no time, the DB is as cheap to run as an gasser, the pellets do burn at different rates, but it is still miles cheaper than charcoal.

Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)