Selling WSM to buy a GMG, am I mad?

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: Selling WSM to buy a GMG, am I mad?

Postby Swindon_Ed » 03 Mar 2016, 15:54

Yoder Smokers are available in Europe now as BBQ Europe is the distributor so they will deal with all the hassle of shipping and import.

I've been a huge fan of the Yoders since I first saw them at the American Royal in Kansas City back in 2012. I've now got a YS640 on a comp cart being shipped at the moment and looking forward to playing with it next week.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Mj2k » 03 Mar 2016, 19:16

Swindon_Ed wrote:Yoder Smokers are available in Europe now as BBQ Europe is the distributor so they will deal with all the hassle of shipping and import.

I've been a huge fan of the Yoders since I first saw them at the American Royal in Kansas City back in 2012. I've now got a YS640 on a comp cart being shipped at the moment and looking forward to playing with it next week.

Thanks Ed, it was through them I was looking at....still cringe at the price compared to the dollar price our cousins over the pond pay, plus all the bits they get included & we pay extra for.

I just struggle with the concept of spending that much on a BBQ, have gone full circle during the day....from 'sod it, you only live once' and then looking to get a wooden smoking hut built, then rapidly retreating away from a £2.5k whim & questioning if I should just stick with my WSM

Love the look of the comp cart, would be my ideal choice; but would need to actually sell my product to justify it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mj2k
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby dancing james » 05 Mar 2016, 23:34

I have just been looking at the costs of upgrading to a 57cm WSM and the GMG's suddenly appeared on the horizon

Have used a 47cm WSM for years and last year bought a Cyber Q to control it.

The debate now is whether to buy a 57cm WSM and move the Cyber Q to the 57cm WSM and to buy the PartyQ or DigiQ to control the 47cm WSM or just to buy a GMG with wifi control instead.

£383 for WSM
£140 for partyq or £220 for DigiQ

£700 for Daniel Boone wifi

Does the Daniel Boone give a similar cooking area to the 57cm WSM?
dancing james
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 06 Mar 2016, 08:24

Hi,
Don't have an WSM but do have an 57cm kettle and a DB. I would say if you fill both shelves of an 57cm grill in the WSM then this is more than 1 shelf in the DB, you cann add a 2nd shelf but I have never bothered as with my rib racks I cand do 8-10 on the DB or 4 large chickens / Pork butts or an 14lb brisket with room to spare, grilling wise I have done 20 quarter pounders in a oner so have never been challenged spaceistically. Also love the fact I can lo and slo and then whilst its resting crank the grill up to do the traditional snags / burgers etc, or crank it to max with the pizza stone in and add another dimension to the mix......just about to fire mine up to cook an Aberdeen angus topside for mothers day lunch.....chimney, charcoal, newspaper, fire lighters.....no, I am in my front room, tap "on", set temp to 130 and we are up and running.....later I will put the temp probe in when the meat goes in and ask it to ping me when it hits med rare.....

Love it......do it....do it...do it

Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Mj2k » 06 Mar 2016, 09:02

The more I look, the more I seem to consider spending.

Now added an XL Big a Green Egg to the mix, which after a table & add ins makes the Yoder seem cheap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mj2k
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)