Whole rib eye on the pellet grill

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Whole rib eye on the pellet grill

Postby GingerBen » 07 Dec 2015, 11:17

Hi all,

Going to do a Hereford beef whole rib eye from Tom Hixson on the GMG for xmas day. It's going to be a shade over 8lbs in weight.

Plan is to do it medium-rare so shooting for an IT of 125f to remove and allow to rise to around 130f while resting under foil.

My question is roughly how long do you think it will take to cook? Plan is to stick it on at 200f to get some good smoke on to it then turn the grill up to 400 or so to get some color on the outside once the IT hits around 115/120.

Any help or thoughts greatly appreciated
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Whole rib eye on the pellet grill

Postby GingerBen » 09 Dec 2015, 10:56

Had some advice from elsewhere suggesting putting it on at 225 and leaving it there until IT hits 130 which should take between 3-4 hours for an 8lb roast. Sound right?
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 09 Dec 2015, 20:25

It really depends on thickness and that's quite a chunk of meat and it will be thick being a roast joint. Obviously you aren't taking it to a high IT so 3 to 4 hours sounds about right. You are well away from any stall too.
Just make sure you record everything you do.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 10 Dec 2015, 09:55

essexsmoker wrote:It really depends on thickness and that's quite a chunk of meat and it will be thick being a roast joint. Obviously you aren't taking it to a high IT so 3 to 4 hours sounds about right. You are well away from any stall too.
Just make sure you record everything you do.

Will do, thanks. Once I've got it I'll check out how thick it is and research cooking times a bit more.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Yelramp » 11 Dec 2015, 05:29

I'm itching to see how this cook turns out. Just on the verge of buying the GMG Davy Crockett.

Good luck!
Yelramp
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby GingerBen » 11 Dec 2015, 10:08

Yelramp wrote:I'm itching to see how this cook turns out. Just on the verge of buying the GMG Davy Crockett.

Good luck!

Thanks Yelramp - regardless of this cook I would recommend getting one, they are a game changer and so easy to use. I threw some stewing beef on mine last night for about 90 mins just to get some smoke on to it before making a casserole as usual in the oven and it really took the flavour on well.

As for this cook I'll post some details after the event and let you know how it went. The plan is to stick the grill on at 225f and put the meat on with a simple seasoning of Montreal steak rub. I'll pull it at 125 IT and tent it with foil monitoring the temp expecting it to reach somewhere between 130-135 with the run over. I'll rest it until IT starts to drop then carve.

Fingers crossed it goes well!
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 11 Dec 2015, 14:19

I'm sure it will be unctuous! Hereford ribeye will be the dogs.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Tiny » 12 Dec 2015, 09:39

Old lad,
This sounds beefitastic, and I am Sure David Crockett will do the business.....out of interest which pellets will you use? I have yet to find some that does beef justice imho.

Also not to sully this brave beef endeavour with price taggery, how much did this set you back?

Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 14 Dec 2015, 09:48

Tiny wrote:Old lad,
This sounds beefitastic, and I am Sure David Crockett will do the business.....out of interest which pellets will you use? I have yet to find some that does beef justice imho.

Also not to sully this brave beef endeavour with price taggery, how much did this set you back?

Cheers Tiny

Hi Tiny,

I use the GMG fruitwood blend for pretty much everything now tbh. For beef the smoke is there but not overpowering. They do a Texas blend which gives a much stronger smoke flavour but would be too much for rib eye IMO. It's good for pork butts though when you really want a heavy smoke flavour (well I do anyway)

The rib eye is £100 so I'm keen not to mess it up!
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 14 Dec 2015, 10:38

Holy shite. Knew it would be a fair about, but Christ. Lol. Be very careful with that one! Lol.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)