Wood Pellets

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: Wood Pellets

Postby smokewoodshack » 24 Jan 2016, 14:31

We have just invested heavily in pellet manufacturing equipment and will be starting making out own pellets in the next week or so.

I understand that price is an important factor when buying pellets, however all is not equal when it comes to pellet manufacturing and like most things you get what you pay for and pellets are no different.
There are 2 main ways that BBQ Pellets are made, from either whole trees or leftover residuals from other manufacturing processes, such as flooring or furniture manufacturing.

When BBQ pellets are made with whole logs, you get a small percentage of bark in the final product. This adds to the flavour complexity of the smoke coming from the pellets. It is more reminiscent of the original BBQ when people cooked using chunks of wood.

The other method of making pellets are not made from whole trees, but rather from the residuals of kiln dried sawdust. This could be cherry from a cabinet maker or oak from a flooring manufacturer. They make a great pellet, as they burn well, but the smoke from this residual sawdust does not possess the same flavour consumers get from a whole log pellet, another issue I believe with using kiln dried sawdust is that you are not totally guaranteed exact quality if using different suppliers.

Our pellets will be made from whole logs, we believe that if you are going to make a quality product you should only use the best materials available and have total control over the manufacturing process.

Pellets come in a wide variety and are either 100% Species, Blends or flavoured pellets:

The 100% species will consist of 100% Hickory, 100% Cherry or 100% Oak and so on.

Blends will be 100% of the desired wood for example Apple & Oak will have ½ Apple and ½ Oak or whatever ratio they are making.

Flavoured pellets will have 30-40% of the desire wood and then 60-70% of either Oak or alder as a base wood, (companies do not like to use the word filler, but that is what they are) So your Hickory Flavour will have 40% Hickory & Oak as a filler. There 3 reasons for this (or so I am told):

1) Many species of trees produce too strong a taste for a lot of people, for example, mesquite.

2) All wood burns at various heat output levels. So rather than have to adjust the grill for each species the user wants a consistent heat output pellet.

3) Some woods are very expensive because of availability, for example, Apple or other fruitwoods. Therefore a 100% pellet using apple and the price could be approximately double therefore putting it out of the range of many customers.

Other flavoured pellets use a base wood (depending where the pellets are manufactured) and then add flavoured oils into the mixing process.

Without going into pellet manufacturing 101 It is not as simple as throwing logs in at one end of a machine and pellets come out of the other end as there isn’t one machine that does it all. Depending if you are using logs or kiln dried dust the process is roughly as follows:

1. If you are going to use trees or logs these have to be reduced in size and made into woodchips.
2. Once you have the woodchips they have to be dried to specific requirements otherwise the pellet will not bind together.
3. The next step is reducing the woodchips even further into sawdust which can then be fed into the pellet mill to make the pellets.
4. Once the pellets have been made they need to be cooled and then bagged.

You do not necessarily need to know all the above information, but I feel you should be aware of the different types of pellets out there and also know what you are paying for.

I haven’t realised how much I have typed :mrgreen:

We are looking for people who are prepared to trial our pellets and give us a honest & unbiased critique of our product. In return we will supply you with the pellets free of charge to trial and when we feel that we have a product worthy of selling to the UK consumer we will give you a full bag of pellets of your flavour of choice. That way we can make a quality product that customers want, be it 100% or blended pellets. If you want to take part please drop me an email to info@smokewoodshack.com and I will be in touch. Cheers
smokewoodshack
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 24 Jan 2016, 15:33

Old chap,
Would love to assist as I am an avid DB user and pellet supply is limited. I have tried all 3 of the GMG blends and rate there hickory gold and fruitwood blends, was less impressed with there texas oak. Have also tried 3 "single malts" cherry, Oak and Mesquite from ABBQ Co and was really only pleased with the cherry, wanted the oak and mesquite to put a big bold flavour down on the brisket but they were a little light for my taste......so will eMail you, but you have not added your .com or .co.uk to the address......but let the record show I was here first!

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby smokewoodshack » 24 Jan 2016, 18:59

Thanks for the reply Tiny and apologies for the faux pas which has now been rectified. I originally lost my first edition of the post as the system logged me out when I hit the submit button. To say the air was blue was an understatement, so I was rushing as not to let it happen again. I have also made a note that, and let the records show that you replied first.
smokewoodshack
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 24 Jan 2016, 21:15

Hi,
Have sent you an eMail, if it isn't in your inbox please check Spam as my companies propensity to sell little blue pills can mean my mails get junked as standard :)
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby tommo666 » 24 Jan 2016, 22:41

What Flavours will you be manufacturing. I use mainly the GMG MHC blend for me they burn hotter than other pellets and i use my DB a lot for higher temp stuff, i also like lil devils pellet. They work well give a bit more ash but that's easy hoovered out.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby essexsmoker » 25 Jan 2016, 10:00

I'm looking to get a DB this year so it will be interesting to see how you get on.

Frm what I calculated the GMG pellets on ABBQC are the cheapest per kilo as well as being pretty good.

The info is very helpful! Interesting to know.

Good to know the 100% species will actually be 100% too!
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby QueFrescoPaul » 25 Jan 2016, 10:10

Hi,
Happy to get involved with this. I have a pellet smoker just arrived and ready for assembly together with GMG pellets. Anyone who wants to develop this market is definitely worth supporting.
QueFrescoPaul
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 25 Jan 2016, 14:31

Note also that Liverpool Wood Pellets supply of BBQ pellets is also the USA. They stock (most recently, it seems, don't stock) Lil Devils, which I believe come from Oregon.

Lil Devils are great as a general pellet, and cheap. However, I am also quite happy with the GMG pellets that ABBQ Co stock, and are not much more expensive.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Primer » 25 Jan 2016, 19:36

Just ordered a GMG Daniel Boone today with 7 bags of various pellets so happy to help and compare to the GMG, cookshack & lumberjack pellets.
Primer
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby smokewoodshack » 26 Jan 2016, 00:59

Our initial intention is to produce a single species pellet from 100% pure wood, not woodchips and dust from a carpenters floor or the left overs from Oak furnitureland. However if the general consensus prefers blends we will make blended pellets. Our initial aim is to make Apple, Beech, Cherry & Oak, and maybe Pear. As Hickory & Maple is so expensive to get hold of in this country I cannot afford to produce a 100% hickory or Maple pellet at a reasonable price, however a blended hickory or Maple pellet could be more feasible if that is what the customer wants. I will certainly look into it. We are looking at selling the pellets in 5 & 10 Kg bags and that is all the information I have at the moment, so I look forward to your valuable input.

The pellet machine arrived this morning and by 10.30 this evening we had made not a single pellet, It is not as easy as it looks and is going to be a learning curve, hopefully tomorrow will be more eventful.

Thanks for everyone who has emailed me with your kind offers, I have sent you a quick email with a bot of information and I will keep you all posted of events accordingly.
smokewoodshack
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)