Wood Pellets

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: Wood Pellets

Postby QueFrescoPaul » 26 Jan 2016, 07:59

Accepted marketing practice is to offer three alternatives as this gives customers a choice and they can make a decision and buy immediately. Offer more alternatives and you make the decision harder and customers are less likely to make an instant decision. Just a thought, not compulsory :)

From my own perspective I like the idea of indigenous species that gives UK BBQ more of an individual identity. I'd like to see apple for poultry & game, a strong wood such as oak for red meats and maybe cherry as a good all rounder.
QueFrescoPaul
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 26 Jan 2016, 12:59

Would it not be better to buy 100% pellets and make your own blend at home? Think thats what I'd try. Scoop of each and mix them up.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 26 Jan 2016, 13:01

QueFrescoPaul wrote:Accepted marketing practice is to offer three alternatives as this gives customers a choice and they can make a decision and buy immediately. Offer more alternatives and you make the decision harder and customers are less likely to make an instant decision. Just a thought, not compulsory :)

From my own perspective I like the idea of indigenous species that gives UK BBQ more of an individual identity. I'd like to see apple for poultry & game, a strong wood such as oak for red meats and maybe cherry as a good all rounder.

I heard of research that says too much choice actually puts people off purchasing too. Think they did it with jam or something. Can't remember now.

I would defo go with apple, cherry and oak. Would be my choice. [THUMBS UP SIGN]
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby smokewoodshack » 27 Jan 2016, 11:29

I agree with Essexsmoker, that's the way I was thinking, that way you can tailor your smoke depending on what you are cooking. The other argument is like I mentioned in a previous post is if the smoke flavour is too strong and it needs diluting, but personally I think it is going to be fine with UK species.
smokewoodshack
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 27 Jan 2016, 12:43

I can't see it being too strong either. At a push maybe less oak in the mix? But apple and cherry should be fine I would think.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby smokewoodshack » 13 Feb 2016, 13:13

Morning Gentlemen,

Just a quick update:

All is not going well with the manufacturing process, as I still have not managed to make an acceptable pellet, it is a lot, lot harder than I initially thought it would be, but we will continue. The problem is getting the specific moisture content of the wood-chip/sawdust mixture to within 1 or 2% of what is required, unfortunately this is easier said than done. Not enough moisture and the wood-chip/sawdust mixture flows through the dies in the pellet machine, too much moisture in the wood-chip/sawdust mixture and the pellets "cook off" in the dies and blocks the die holes. Needless to say that unblocking the dies takes forever before I can repeat the process and try again. The quest for the perfect pellet continues, and will keep you posted accordingly.
smokewoodshack
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 13 Feb 2016, 14:16

Check out this video - very informative on its own, but there is also a segment showing how Traeger make their pellets

http://youtu.be/h7o7qHua0Xg

Fast forward to 14:30
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby smokewoodshack » 15 Mar 2016, 08:48

Thanks for the video, there is a lot on there, needless to say that the pellet making setup is well over a Million Quid with all the bells and whistles. Needless to say ours in not that big.

Things are progressing slowly (too slowly for me personally) however the pellets could be better so we are going to have another tinker and fine tune things a bit more.

Unfortunately everything is going to have to go on the back burner for a short while as I have to go into hospital for surgery, so best laid plans and all that !

I can only apologise the inconvenience caused in raising your hopes of making a UK made pellet within a month. However I will keep you posted, and thanks for your patience.
smokewoodshack
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby QueFrescoPaul » 15 Mar 2016, 09:30

As hot smoking enthusiasts we're used to exercising patience so chill out and get well soon. For what it's worth my plans to build and sell a pellet grill are delayed as well...happy days!
QueFrescoPaul
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 18 Mar 2016, 20:56

Great find. Brilliant video. :)
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)