Wood Pellets

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Wood Pellets

Postby QueFrescoPaul » 17 Nov 2015, 10:27

Got a pellet grill on the way to me from China (don't ask - it's a long story) and I need to find a good supplier of wood pellets. Have tried Liverpool Wood Pellets and they have nothing until January.

Anyone got any advice? I don't particularly want to pay top dollar through American BBQ Company, is there anyone else out there?
QueFrescoPaul
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Wood Pellets

Postby Tiny » 17 Nov 2015, 20:40

Top Dollar? I source my wood pellets from ABBQC and have been stunned by the fact I have spent no more on pellets than I did on Gas before the purchase of my GMG.......LWP are cheaper but seem to only have 1 type, not aware of anyone else in the uk selling food grade pellets......Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby QueFrescoPaul » 18 Nov 2015, 07:37

Thanks Tiny, I'll give ABBQC a go and take it from there.

When I say top dollar I'm referring to what must be an expensive supply chain - made in USA + branded product + tax + margin; shipping + duty + tax; UK storage and distribution + margin.

Wherever possible I like to buy made in Britain or at least via an optimised supply chain but having spent much of yesterday researching the arbor industry I'm not convinced that much wood is actually native. Most woods seem to be brought in by the container load from the East. Ho hum...

Also, now better understanding the investment required to construct a pellet making machine versus potential demand I can understand why no one has done it so far. I guess we need more folks to buy pellet grills first.
QueFrescoPaul
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GingerBen » 18 Nov 2015, 09:41

Also have a GMG and found ABBQC to be the only place you can reliably bulk buy food grade pellets for it in the UK. I have seen plenty on ebay but not sure of quality and to be honest they aren't expensive from ABBQC so I just stick with them.
They are dirt cheap in the US as ownership of pellet grills is so much greater than here but maybe that will increase over the next few years.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby QueFrescoPaul » 18 Nov 2015, 10:04

Nice one. Have ordered a pack so will see how we fair :)
QueFrescoPaul
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 18 Nov 2015, 10:08

I had a look around and when you work out the price the GMG ones are great value. Something like £1.13p a kilo. Bear in mind you can easily pay £1 a kilo (without shipping) for wood alone and you are getting heat too!
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 18 Nov 2015, 10:09

I am GAGGING to get a pellet gtill. Defo the way forward.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby QueFrescoPaul » 18 Nov 2015, 10:27

I am GAGGING to get a pellet gtill. Defo the way forward.

Might have one going spare by mid Dec. I've imported it from China with a view to assessing the quality before bringing in a container. Don't know what the quality is going to be like (it could be a bag of s**t), it'll be 110V so it'll need a transformer but if you're interested in having a look then I'll give you shout when it's landed.
QueFrescoPaul
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 18 Nov 2015, 10:53

Forgot to mention, American BBQ will mix and match bags to full boxes, so if you wanted 1 bag of GMG Gold and one of fruitwood they will do this provided you order in full box quantities
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby QueFrescoPaul » 18 Nov 2015, 11:23

Nice one!
QueFrescoPaul
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)