Tonight's brisket?

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Tonight's brisket?

Postby Evotim » 14 Nov 2015, 18:12

Hi,

Am looking for advice please... Have just got a lovely looking usda brisket out and unwrapped it. I got an odd smell from the blood that was in the wrapping.

I've now rinsed it and the smell is pretty much gone.

The date on the wrapping is Dec and it's been kept in my fridge which is at 4 degrees. I did however buy it 5 days ago :s

My question... Is it gonna be safe?

Be a shame to see it in the bin:(

Thx

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Evotim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Tonight's brisket?

Postby jez2775 » 14 Nov 2015, 18:29

That happens occasionally when left in the wrapping, nothing to worry about, definitely don't throw it in the bin!
jez2775
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Evotim » 14 Nov 2015, 18:46

Thank god for that! It was quite pungent which is why I asked...
It's my first usda so been looking forward to this all week:)

Evotim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby jez2775 » 14 Nov 2015, 20:06

Who did you get it from?
jez2775
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 14 Nov 2015, 20:32

Any cryovac meat can have a pungent smell, especially beef. Normally fades pretty quickly. Or after rinsing. You're cooking to a high internal temp so should be no problem.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Evotim » 14 Nov 2015, 21:47

Got from my local meat market near Brighton but they got it for me from Smithfields.
Nice to know it won't go to waste:)
Thx, will keep you posted on how it turns out

Evotim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Evotim » 16 Nov 2015, 12:22

Morning:)

Well, an interesting evening and a slightly longer cook than expected but an amazing finish:)

After trimming what felt like a good couple of kilos of fat off the brisket and a simple salt & pepper rub it was ready.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ZJ1U ... sp=sharing

Going on my new WSM 57 which i've been waiting to test also with my new CyberQ.... So first USDA brisket on my new WSM with my new Cyber Q... what could possibly go wrong???!

Firstly finding out that after spending time setting up the CyberQ to access my home wifi network that it couldn't find, let alone connect to my wifi powerline extender for the garden.
Due to the fact it was raining i decided to plug in my Maverick so i could monitor the pit getting up to temp from the dryness of my home only to find that they were both reading different, 25-30F, the CyberQ being lower. Took slightly longer than expected so the brisket didn't go on til 12.45... Was aiming for midnight, hoping to be done for 1-2pm ish. As it was late and not being sure at that time which one was out of calibration and didn't want to overcook the brisket i set the Cyber Q for 250F put the brisket on and went to bed.

So, was up at 7am only to find the brisket had only reached 148F and not quite the bark i was expecting although still looking juicy and not at all dry.

I did think that by this time it would be into the stall. I pretty much decided by this that it must be the CyberQ that was out so to double check decided to test the maverick probes in boiling water. I was right so wacked the temp up on the CyberQ so it would continue cooking around 250F but at about 1pm i decided to up the temp again to 275F otherwise it would of been really late by the time it was done.

I held off wrapping in butchers paper til about 180F so as to get a better bark. Took it to 195-197F before taking off to rest which was about 3pm so not too much longer, but after resting and we didn't get to eat til almost 4pm but well worth the wait.

By far the most Tasty, Juicy and Tender brisket i've ever cooked and although we have leftovers i can't wait to cook another one:))

It prob could've done with another going just another 1-2F but was super happy with the result and so was everyone else. Served as a full roast dinner with a lovely smoked gravy from the drippings.
Evotim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 16 Nov 2015, 13:48

Sounds like you had a good cook all in all. Overcame the temp issues and had a great product at the end.

How long was the cook in the end? 15hrs?

I did a brisket yesterday but had to rush it through so it was still very tough by the finish (only 6hrs). Will put in a chilli con carne on the slow cooker to soften.

Nice smoke ring and flavour though.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Evotim » 16 Nov 2015, 16:05

Wow, 6 hours, i imagine it would be slightly tough but yes a good slow cooked chilli will sort it right out:)
We've got fajitas tonight with of course Brisket.

Yes with resting 15 hours so not bad, went on late and managed to do a bit of catch up from the low 220/225 start temp.

The last two i've done have both been about 14 hours at 250F on my Pro Q Excel so was expecting about the same on the WSM.

Just have to find out how to recalibrate my CyberQ now? Can anyone help?

Njoy the chilli:)
Evotim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 17 Nov 2015, 18:30

Just chomping the chili. Flippin lovely. Best chili I've ever had! That was just a quick one with ragu sauce and a load of stuff I chucked in.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)