Beef short ribs - how long to smoke?

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Beef short ribs - how long to smoke?

Postby GingerBen » 05 Oct 2015, 09:19

Hi all,

Having my third go at smoking some beef ribs on the GMG DC tomorrow. First two tries have resulted in decent but not amazing bbq.

For the first I tried wrapping after 4 hours at 225f to get IT to around 190, took another couple of hours and they were pretty good (Malcolm Reed's method)

Second ones I did unwrapped for the full cook at 275f (Franklins method on you tube) and they shrank like crazy (was about 6 hours I think.)

Both have tasted alright as mentioned but I'm not blown away by my results so far. Appreciating this is a learning curve I wondered if anybody had any good tips for my third time lucky! The meat is a 3 bone rack weighing just over 1kg so about 2.3lbs. It's not hugely meaty on top of the bones but looks enough for me and the wife.

Also if I cook for much longer say 8 hours+ will that help to breakdown the really think membrane that runs between the bones and goes like rubber causing the meat to shrink lots? I always take the thinner membrane off the back but this is the really thick stuff that would be hard to get at. I'm guessing this is just part of beef ribs and is probably too big to break down but thought I'd ask!

Thanks in advance.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Beef short ribs - how long to smoke?

Postby TheHowster » 05 Oct 2015, 11:55

Hi GingerBen,

I have smoked beef short ribs a few times now, mainly because it's a cheaper cut of beef that gives great results.

I did find that taking the temp up to 205f internal made a big difference to how tender it came out compared with a tougher finish at 195f. (Cooked between 225 and 250f)

Shrinkage isn't an issue and actually plumps up the two layers of muscle into thicker and more manageable chunks.

I leave all fat and membranes intact and also don't bother to crutch. It takes a bit of butchering at the end to seperate the layers of meat from fat and bone (although usually all pulls away pretty easy).

I have had it as a meal alone but the best use I have found is to reheat it in the microwave the following day, pull it apart (easy as it's so tender) and then make a chilli with it. It's fantastic on nachos!
TheHowster
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GingerBen » 05 Oct 2015, 12:41

TheHowster wrote:Hi GingerBen,

I have smoked beef short ribs a few times now, mainly because it's a cheaper cut of beef that gives great results.

I did find that taking the temp up to 205f internal made a big difference to how tender it came out compared with a tougher finish at 195f. (Cooked between 225 and 250f)

Shrinkage isn't an issue and actually plumps up the two layers of muscle into thicker and more manageable chunks.

I leave all fat and membranes intact and also don't bother to crutch. It takes a bit of butchering at the end to seperate the layers of meat from fat and bone (although usually all pulls away pretty easy).

I have had it as a meal alone but the best use I have found is to reheat it in the microwave the following day, pull it apart (easy as it's so tender) and then make a chilli with it. It's fantastic on nachos!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've seen others take it to around 205f as well so was thinking of trying that this time. I'm in two minds about the foiling, seems it's personal preference as much as anything.

I like the idea of making something with the meat rather than just having it as the main part of a meat and two veg meal so to speak. Perhaps a chilli is on the cards tomorrow.

How long roughly do you think that piece should take to hit 205? It's 2.3lbs give or take.

Thanks again
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 05 Oct 2015, 14:05

Hi GB, I normally take my beef to 200 and then take it out. Don't forget it continues to cook for a while after. Mine has hit 205 during resting.
It can just be luck what meat you have to some extent.
The tough membranes will never soften. Just pull the meat off around them.

I've found that fat is the main criterion for good anything. I've had super juicy and tasty ribs as they get nearer the bone with more fat.
Personally I crutch everything as we don't have the same marbling as USDA meat.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 05 Oct 2015, 17:02

Thanks for that. Pulling at 200f makes sense to include the rise while resting.

My plan was to keep the smoker at 180 for a couple of hours to get some good smoke going and then increase temp to 225 and wait for 200 IT (and foil at this point if I do)

Any ideas how long this might take? I'm thinking around 6 hours but totally guessing lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 05 Oct 2015, 18:01

Do you cut into individual ribs or smoke the hole rack?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 05 Oct 2015, 18:20

aris wrote:Do you cut into individual ribs or smoke the hole rack?

The ones I have this time are in a three bone rack and I'm keeping them that way. Last ones I did were single ribs so want to see if any difference.

They are sat in Oakridge Black Ops Brisket Rub at the moment ready for tomorrow :)

GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby TheHowster » 05 Oct 2015, 21:51

With big hunks like pork shoulder and brisket I let the resting bring it up to temp but I found taking the ribs up to 203/205f definitely makes them more tender.

I did try separating the ribs as I'd seen this advise and figured it would give more rub and smoke flavour but it didn't add much and I found they were tougher. Cooking time didn't seem to decrease significantly either. I think sometimes a big chunk of meat can be more forgiving as it has the mass to absorb more mistakes.

I get my ribs from a local butcher who slaughter the cattle from the local estate and age them in house. I think the quality of the beef helps a lot however I don't know many other butchers that do a cut like a rack of beef short ribs that wouldn't already be getting good quality sides of beef in.

I definitely recommend the chilli. I'm doing a batch Wednesday from a few ribs I smoked at the weekend with a load of home grown tomatoes and chili peppers.
TheHowster
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GingerBen » 07 Oct 2015, 06:15

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/06/b88b702fb08ed1d3b87839fbbb7d7065.jpg[/img]

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/06/07c974b1364f0df1d110aced576bb4ab.jpg[/img]

They came out really well. Pulled them at 195 hoping they'd climb to 200 but think they'd have been better if I'd pulled them at 200. Still they were my best ones yet so I'm very happy.

GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 07 Oct 2015, 09:12

They look awesome! Obviously good meat.

How long did they take in the finish? 6hrs? Great job. I nearly savaged my phone when the pic popped up. Lol.

How come you took them off at 195?

Did you foil?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)