Smoked Magret de Canard - duck breast

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Smoked Magret de Canard - duck breast

Postby Bigpikle » 19 Sep 2015, 19:01

I brought back a couple of magret de canard from the Dordogne this summer - lovely large duck breasts weighing 400g each. If you havent seen these huge ducks in the S of France before you'd think they were big geese! I've cooked these many times before but always just pan fried them the classic way - tastes lovely but makes the mess of all messes, so I decided they should be smoked this time.

Its not really 'low 'n' slow' as they only took 30 mins, but I thought I'd share it here as they were incredible and one of THE best things I've ever cooked 8-)

Step 1 - a dry brine for 3 hours - cinnamon, star anise, brown sugar, crushed peppercorns, dry bay leaf and loads of salt

Step 2 - smoked at 225 F on the Weber kettle, a handful of Jim Bean oak barrel chips added with the duck

Step 3 - removed with an internal temp of 128 F for medium rare, and stood for about 5 mins before serving

Absolutely incredible and much easier than I expected. Only a little of the thick layer of fat renders off at these temps, so its fairly low mess, and the meat stays very moist. The oak chips added a subtle smokiness but also a distinct sweetness which for my money makes this the best tasting duck I've ever had - and after numerous holidays in France, thats a lot of duck!

Hope that is helpful for someone planning something similar.
Bigpikle
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Smoked Magret de Canard - duck breast

Postby Vibe » 19 Sep 2015, 20:43

Sounds really nice, but no Q view?? :cry:
Vibe
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Bigpikle » 20 Sep 2015, 18:47

Q view?

:?:

If you mean pictures then I was a little busy with about 10 other dishes to go with it and for the rest of the family!
Bigpikle
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 22 Sep 2015, 09:10

Sounds really good, and very simple. Yum.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby QueFrescoPaul » 22 Sep 2015, 18:46

Sounds great. Any opportunity switch to grill at half time and crisp up the skin?
QueFrescoPaul
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 23 Sep 2015, 08:55

QueFrescoPaul wrote:Sounds great. Any opportunity switch to grill at half time and crisp up the skin?

Must admit I do like crispy skin. Think I would try that. Direct over hot coals near the end.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)