What's everyone cooking/cooked this weekend

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: What's everyone cooking/cooked this weekend

Postby gavinbbq » 16 Aug 2015, 18:03

Hi all.
So this weekend, I didn't really get the chance for that much barbecue time but on Sunday, the wife fancied roast chicken so we compromised with a barbecue chicken.
Marinated the chicken in lemon, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper.
Cooked on the weber kettle and threw in a small chunk of Apple wood. Finished off direct over the charcoal.
Star of the show though was the corn which I cooked in the husk direct.
Image[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/16/ce413e5501ea5a64df94d69fc47d4ac4.jpg[/img]Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 17 Aug 2015, 09:30

Chicken looks good!

I did a 3kg chuck roast and very pleased with it for a first bash.
Cook was steady at 225. Foiled at 150 , then into the oven for convenience up to 195 and rest for 3hrs during which it rose to 203 for a time.
Used mesquite for a change . Not too much about about 2 3 ounce chunks.

Some parts pulled better than others probably due to fat and CT distribution , but very tasty.

Got another libk too but not coming up

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0oXcy ... cslist_api

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0oXcy ... cslist_api

Anyone else done anything?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gavinbbq » 21 Aug 2015, 20:42

I'd love to do a beef chuck joint! Burgers are great using the chuck.
Tomorrow I'm going to get up at 4am and put on a brisket I picked up from my local farm shop. The butchers there seem quite keen when I ask them about cutting meat to my preference as it is a cattle and sheep farm they don't have to buy in from wholesale.
Anyway I tried to explain as best as I could a packer brisket and what I got I am happy with, although I think a fair bit of the point is missing. The quality of the beef looks amazing and it smells good too.
Going to use Apple wood and cook at 225f, still not sure whether or not to wrap and what to wrap in, what do you guys reckon? I hope it should be done by 4pm tomorrow.
Here are a few pics pre trim
ImageImage
I'll post more throughout the cook.

gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gavinbbq » 22 Aug 2015, 17:08

Brisket came out sublime! Got it on at 5.40am this morning and it reached 203f at around 5pm this evening. Came out much better than before. Great quality beef. Only cost £20
ImageImage

gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 22 Aug 2015, 21:33

Looks like a great piece of meat. nice fat cap. Looks well aged? Did you foil or paper?
I think unless you have USDA choice or greater quality meat you have to crutch.

Do I spy a jus?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gavinbbq » 23 Aug 2015, 07:08

I was going to go for paper but couldn't be bothered to walk across to sainsburys and get some parchment so just foiled it in the end.
It was a fantastic piece of meat from QGardens Farm Shop just down the road from me.
Haha sorry no Jus just a barbecue sauce that I made from the Pitt Cue Book.

gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby narmour » 24 Aug 2015, 08:18

No pics of my weekends cook but it was my most adventurous to date... started at 12.30am Sunday morning with a lump of brisket. Got to 6.30am to find that the constant rain overnight had formed a puddle underneath the firebasket in my ProQ which was sinking the heat away nicely and stopping it from getting over 180F no matter what I tried (it took me about 3 hours of fiddling to work this out). Brisket came off, wrapped and into a 120C oven at 9.30am to make room for the beef ribs. Pork ribs then on at 11am. Everything ready to eat at 3pm to coincide with the chicken and sausages I was grilling on the barrel BBQ. Brisket was melt in the mouth and tasted amazing with a drop of chimichurri, beef ribs were a bit fatty for my liking but the pork ribs were sublime. Chicken and sausages didn't get touched!

Lessons learnt..

Don't leave the smoker uncovered overnight. Rain affects it more than I would ever have thought.

Aussie heat beads are amazing! 15 hours cooking out of 6kg and still hot enough to grill on at 7pm (19 hours later) when I emptied them out.

When inviting the family for a BBQ, take the amount of food that I think we will need and divide by 3. Buy that amount instead. Also don't bother with sausages and burgers.
narmour
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby narmour » 24 Aug 2015, 08:19

double post sorry..
narmour
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 24 Aug 2015, 08:55

gavinbbq wrote:I was going to go for paper but couldn't be bothered to walk across to sainsburys and get some parchment so just foiled it in the end.
It was a fantastic piece of meat from QGardens Farm Shop just down the road from me.
Haha sorry no Jus just a barbecue sauce that I made from the Pitt Cue Book.

I always use foil anyway. Just bang ot back in the oven on full blast for 10mins works a treat.
Did look good. Plenty of intramuscular fat or more surface fat?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 24 Aug 2015, 09:00

narmour wrote:No pics of my weekends cook but it was my most adventurous to date... started at 12.30am Sunday morning with a lump of brisket. Got to 6.30am to find that the constant rain overnight had formed a puddle underneath the firebasket in my ProQ which was sinking the heat away nicely and stopping it from getting over 180F no matter what I tried (it took me about 3 hours of fiddling to work this out). Brisket came off, wrapped and into a 120C oven at 9.30am to make room for the beef ribs. Pork ribs then on at 11am. Everything ready to eat at 3pm to coincide with the chicken and sausages I was grilling on the barrel BBQ. Brisket was melt in the mouth and tasted amazing with a drop of chimichurri, beef ribs were a bit fatty for my liking but the pork ribs were sublime. Chicken and sausages didn't get touched!

Lessons learnt..

Don't leave the smoker uncovered overnight. Rain affects it more than I would ever have thought.

Aussie heat beads are amazing! 15 hours cooking out of 6kg and still hot enough to grill on at 7pm (19 hours later) when I emptied them out.

When inviting the family for a BBQ, take the amount of food that I think we will need and divide by 3. Buy that amount instead. Also don't bother with sausages and burgers.

Crikey I'm not surprised there are no pics, that's a lot of cooking!
Sounds like you recovered well from the rain catastrophe! :)
I was surprised how much rain had seeped into my drum smoker with the cover on! We had heavy rain for about 20hrs and it went inside. Keep wanting to fit a chimney but never get around to it.

How come the chicken and sausages weren't touched? That's criminal. Lol. Got to try a bit of everything if someone has gone to all that effort! Not that I'm greedy , just really polite! :)
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)