Beef Ribs

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Re: Beef Ribs

Postby batvan » 02 Aug 2015, 20:40

When Ya do them on yer UDS be wary of a flare up! I'm really getting into beef ribs, I wrapped mi last ones n was caught unaware as to how much fat n juices were in the foil n whapped em back on the grill after unwrapping.trimmed the owd eyelashes haha so stood back n tipped more on there to give it a frazzle n make it look like I knew wot I was doing! :D
batvan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 06 Aug 2015, 12:29

batvan wrote:When Ya do them on yer UDS be wary of a flare up! I'm really getting into beef ribs, I wrapped mi last ones n was caught unaware as to how much fat n juices were in the foil n whapped em back on the grill after unwrapping.trimmed the owd eyelashes haha so stood back n tipped more on there to give it a frazzle n make it look like I knew wot I was doing! :D

Lol. Yes its a fair amount of fat even after the trim. That's what makes them soooo juicy and soft though. Mmm.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby batvan » 08 Aug 2015, 07:04

I've got some on order which I'm picking up today, gonna end up looking like big daddy soon!
batvan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Aug 2015, 09:32

Lol. I think I'm already there. :D
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 08 Aug 2015, 13:31

Hi

Yes the smell is normal from the meat juice stored in the vac pack, a wash and air will return it to normal. if you were worried wash with a salt solution.

Yep it will be plate ribs, usually 4 bones to a piece. I usually just trim of the top fat layer with the brown type bark/skin and leave the rest (2 muscles with fat in the middle) before cooking. Wash over with Worcestershire sauce, then dust course ground pepper and salt at 75/25
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby essexsmoker » 08 Aug 2015, 20:26

It said fore rib shorts , not plate shorts. You can get fore rib ribs but they normally look quite different. Very confusing. Might ask next time.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gavinbbq » 08 Aug 2015, 21:12

Hi Essexsmoker I recommend you get yourself a good book about barbecue. The Pitt Cue book is fairly good and explains different cuts of meat. It was something I struggled with but luckily I work with a former butcher shop owner and I ask him lots of questions regarding different cuts of meat. [img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/08/52d0ee59b530b0b8bebbda45441bce2b.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 09 Aug 2015, 07:29

Hi gavin, is there much in the way of butchery in there? Is it English or US cuts?

Can you ask him if there is anywhere on the forerib that you could get plate style ribs from?
Normally forerib ribs would be shiners.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gavinbbq » 09 Aug 2015, 08:26

Not much on butchery but a few diagrams which show you the makeup of different livestock and their different cuts, English and American.
The fore rib is the part of the cattle on the back where you get rib eye steaks from. If you continue to follow the rib bones down to the side of the animal that is where the plate section is. That is the section where you get you short/Jacobs from. Not sure which end of the plate had the most meat, but when I ask my butcher for a 3 rib short rib in one piece you can easily feed 4 people of that.
I can only assume that your butcher is saying fore rib as that is the part along the length of the anima where he has taken the sort ribs from.
It can get very confusing asking different butchers for cuts of meat especially when we watch a lot of American barbecue videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 09 Aug 2015, 11:26

Hi Gav is spot on

I have a butcher mate too who shows me how to go on but You Tube is a good source for seeing the meat trimmed. Look up "Breaking down a forequarter of beef" and you will see what I describe below

If you think of the animal, the top under the back bone (spine) is the Rib of beef area similar to loin in a pig. A bit further up is the Chuck again similar to pork shoulder. Then you have the long rib cage and at the bottom of that is the brisket. Now come up from the brisket and you have the Plate ribs which is where we all get our Beef ribs from. The ribs further up are Shiners (not much meat) but some butchers sell them as "African Ribs". These are the same ribs that are kept on a Tomahawk steak

Hope that helps
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

PreviousNext

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)