Beef Ribs

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Beef Ribs

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Aug 2015, 20:23

Hi All, got some beef ribs Friday evening and have just opened them to cook tomorrow. I've never done them before and was slightly taken aback by the smell. They are vac packed and I wondered if it was that. They smell pretty bad to me and I wonder if that's normal? Hard to describe the smell but my wife could smell it when she came in the door front door!

Thanks.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Beef Ribs

Postby jez2775 » 01 Aug 2015, 20:28

I had the same issue with a brisket recently, spoke to the company I bought from and they advised me to rinse under cold running water, which did the job, meat tasted incredible.
jez2775
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Aug 2015, 20:33

I did that but not sure it was any better. Mind you it might just be that the room smelt of it. Have finished prepping and put them in the fridge. Will have another sniff tomorrow but I think I will take them back if not better.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 02 Aug 2015, 06:56

Well I've had a sniff and they aren't as strong as they were. I remember having mince smell like it does now and it was fine. I don't have beef very often so kinda forget how it can smell. Best before on the packet is September, so think I'll risk it. I get sick pay anyway. Lmao. :D
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Dduffs71 » 02 Aug 2015, 10:03

So! How did the beef ribs cook/taste? I have some single beef ribs in the freezer and haven't cooked them before, so would interested to hear. Was yours a rack of ribs or individual?
Dduffs71
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 02 Aug 2015, 13:19

Well they are only just finished and resting. Taken 5 hrs. Only did them in the oven this time just the test them. They aren't quite what I thought they were when I picked them up. They are more like riblets about 2 or 3 inches long. They were in a block of 4 but I cut them into 2s to cook quicker and get more bark.
They look OK though.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gavinbbq » 02 Aug 2015, 17:21

I have had some weird smelling beef a few times, not sure if it's got something to do with not ageing it properly.
When you get beef ribs right they are unbelievably good. The last time I got some, I got a 3 rib plate short ribs. I was aiming to get them to 195F but it took too long. Pulled them at around 180F and they were sublime, melt in the mouth tender, oozing with juice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 02 Aug 2015, 17:23

I have to say they were pretty good considering the start and it was my first bash.:)

Good bark and very soft and juicy for the most part. The very top bit of meat was soft but less moist but thats to be expected.

2 riblets was quite filling too.

The cut said beef short forerib so not quite sure if that is from the short plate or not?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gavinbbq » 02 Aug 2015, 19:01

It probably was the plate.
I'm glad your beef didn't end up tasting funny.
Like yours the top bit of mine when I done them was no where near as moist as the part right on the rib. I think I'm gonna order some for next weekend and post some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 02 Aug 2015, 20:25

I might be throwing up tomorrow yet. Lol.

Yeah the bits where there was plenty of fat were awesome. There was a LOT of trim. Probably about 30%. Membrane on top , then a massive fat layer and then another membrane.

Be interested to see your pics.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)